Interesting/Notable/Weird news that doesn't need it's own thread

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
joele
Site Admin

Interesting/Notable/Weird news that doesn't need it's own thread

Post by joele »

I thought I would start a general news thread for things that maybe don't need a whole thread to themselves but for whatever reason are interesting still..
Scrolling through Twitter a couple of weeks ago, I came across a clip of rightwing commentator Tucker Carlson interviewing a face I never thought I’d see on his platform: Ice Cube.

As in Fuck Tha Police Ice Cube.

“What planet am I on right now?” I found myself thinking.
He’s joining a long list of rappers – Kanye West, Da Baby, Kodak Black, Lil Pump – who have all put themselves in dangerous proximity to conservative politicians even as rightwing populism threatens to destroy their communities.
In discussions about money, gender identity, public health and a variety of social issues, rappers and rightwingers have a lot more in common than you’d immediately think. Many people from both groups share hypermasculinity, conservative Christian values, and a distrust of social institutions (justified or not); and on this common ground sits a messy and dangerous alliance full of people who ordinarily would hate each other, but have come together to make vulnerable people their enemy.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-ice-cube
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
joele
Site Admin

Re: Interesting/Notable/Weird news that doesn't need it's own thread

Post by joele »

White Supremacists marching in Florida.. sigh
In video captured by News2Share’s Ford Fischer, the groups chanted, “Jews will not replace us!” and “Jews get the rope.”

Pohlhaus appeared to lead portions of the march. When Pohlhaus yelled, “Heil the führer!” others responded with, “Heil Hitler!”

Speaking to reporters, Pohlhaus said, “We just have to start a fire. We’re the kindling. Once we set the fire, we get the fire hot, then we get the rest of our brothers blazing.”

“This is just the beginning,” Pohlhaus added later.

When another reporter asked a marcher what they were marching for, he responded, “White power.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/video ... r-AA1gba7q
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

Bit more on the Florida issue.
Horrified Florida residents awoke to find anti-Semitic flyers in their yards blaming the pandemic on Jewish people.

Photos posted by the Okeechobee County Sheriff's Office show small bags with anti-Semitic rhetoric inside them along with small, unknown pellet-like items.

Deputies say more than 100 packets were distributed sometime between Sunday evening and Monday morning across Treasure Coast and Palm Beach County.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... eways.html

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:11 pmBit more on the Florida issue.
That's a lot of masked men whose real names and employers could be made public by White Rose or similar groups.
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:54 pmThat's a lot of masked men whose real names and employers could be made public by White Rose or similar groups.
There was an interesting comment from someone at the ADL.. To the effect of "these same people are against covid mask but here they voluntarily wear masks in order not to be identified as biggots".. Priorities..

stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Millionaire making offensive and downright idiotic remarks regrets making idiotic remarks.....but only, I am guessing, because it attracted a lot of negative press!
“We need to see unemployment rise, unemployment has to jump 40-50 per cent. In my view, we need to see pain in the economy. I mean, there’s been a systematic change where employees feel the employer is extremely lucky to have them as opposed to the other way around.”
“At the AFR Property Summit this week I made some remarks about unemployment and productivity in Australia that I deeply regret and were wrong,’’ he said.
Sounds like a schrodingers apology, you throw offensive remarks around and depending on how they are received you decide whether or not you are sorry for making them, it's a neither one or the other apology. Yes he meant them, but he's sorry he made them!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/le ... 4f2d10cf42
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Will the kid turn out a mite over-energetic?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/why ... /kuc845mib
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

The moment you should realise you are on the wrong side!
Days after neo-Nazis clashed violently with anti-fascists in the Melbourne suburb of Thornbury, they were out again — this time in a disturbing show of support for the No campaign against the Voice to Parliament.
If marching side by side with Nazi's isn't enough to let you know you are on the wrong side you may already be to far gone to save!

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... fc10f33a72
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

stevebrooks wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:50 pm The moment you should realise you are on the wrong side!
Days after neo-Nazis clashed violently with anti-fascists in the Melbourne suburb of Thornbury, they were out again
More like chased out of Thornbury.. At least there was some positive in the story..

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Now, where to post this? Ah yes, this is exactly the thread, because it's not really about Covid, really it's just a great piece of storytelling, quite a touching human story.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... rent-story
I can feel it