Movies

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
stylofone

Movies

Post by stylofone »

I just watched Oppenheimer, it really doesn't belong in the thread on "shows". The distinction might be blurring in some cases, but this is definitely in the cinematic genre.

I really enjoyed it, although the weight it gives to the political intrigue made parts of it a bit less interesting to me. A lot of it is really great - script, cast, acting, soundtrack, effects, but for me it doesn't quite hang together, to give that killer punch. But still really really good.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Re: Movies

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:01 pm I just watched Oppenheimer, it really doesn't belong in the thread on "shows". The distinction might be blurring in some cases, but this is definitely in the cinematic genre.

I really enjoyed it, although the weight it gives to the political intrigue made parts of it a bit less interesting to me. A lot of it is really great - script, cast, acting, soundtrack, effects, but for me it doesn't quite hang together, to give that killer punch. But still really really good.
I'm a bit the same, a bit meh about Oppenheimer. I thought it was trying to do too much. Was it about the science, was it a biography, was it an ethical statement, political, or was it about McCarthyism, because that's where it ended up. Consequently, it was too long. But i did enjoy it. Production was outstanding and Cillian Murphy was fantastic as usual.

Speaking of too long, and while we have a 'movies' thread (thnks Stylo), i recently saw Ari Aster's Beau is Afraid, with Joaquin Phoenix in the main role. A very divisive movie, most people i know who have seen it hated it, and some left the cinema half way through, it goes for 3 hours. But i loved it, although there is a long sequence that i thought was indulgent and unnecessary, which i think prevented it from being some kind of weird masterpiece. In it's best moments though the side splitting hilarity combined with an underlying horror of mental health collapse is so strangely unsettling it's quite brilliant. Joaquin Phoenix is sublime throughout. Not sure any other actor could have played the role actually. Might be consumed with more ease in two sittings. Not an easy watch, but well worth it.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
nibble

Post by nibble »

I really enjoyed Oppenheimer. Heavy on the dialogue so one needs to watch with intent. I thought the ending statement was quite profound.
Spiral out ....
MissGreen

Post by MissGreen »

I decided to watch jason and the argonauts (cause i love stop motion). Have to say i enjoyed the plot and acting more then i thought i would. I also heard that theres a nosferatu remake un the making, I love a good monster vampire so i'll defo give that a watch.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

MissGreen wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:47 pm I decided to watch jason and the argonauts (cause i love stop motion). Have to say i enjoyed the plot and acting more then i thought i would. I also heard that theres a nosferatu remake un the making, I love a good monster vampire so i'll defo give that a watch.
Jason and the Argonauts is a lifelong favourite of mine. I get the impression that highbrow cinema buffs don't take it seriously, but I think it's a work of art!
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:05 am
MissGreen wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:47 pm I decided to watch jason and the argonauts (cause i love stop motion). Have to say i enjoyed the plot and acting more then i thought i would. I also heard that theres a nosferatu remake un the making, I love a good monster vampire so i'll defo give that a watch.
Jason and the Argonauts is a lifelong favourite of mine. I get the impression that highbrow cinema buffs don't take it seriously, but I think it's a work of art!
I think I'd watch anything with Ray Harryhausen's work in it. Pure bloody genius.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I rewatched the Beatles movie HELP! last night. The best bits are the songs, which have nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Second best is just seeing the Beatles themselves. They can't act, but who cares. Third best is the goons-like silliness of the surrounding story and script, showcasing RIchard Lester's fine direction, and the supporting cast led by Leo "Rumpole" McKern. Overall the movie feels like the world's most precious metals and rare gemstones were accidentally delivered to a pre-school art class instead of a skilled jeweller.

I can feel it
MissGreen

Post by MissGreen »

I saw the killer on netflix, its kinda like if john wick or jason bourne is a bit of a blowhard fuckup. I rather liked it, i'm concvinced they know it's kinda funny despite the movie never breaking poker face.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Had a trip to the cinema last night to see Poor Things. I don't know but maybe as i age i'm becoming the harshest critic, or maybe i'm just hating hollywood, in any case i certainly hated this movie. The performances were great, especially Emma Stone's, and the look of the film was interesting and it contained some smirk inducing slap stick comedy (which from what i've seen was the misleading content of all the trailers). I just couldn't get passed the misogyny and abuse and sexualisation of a child in a woman's body - over and over and over again in very explicit scenes that were prolonged and took up probably 15% of the movie with lots of full frontal nudity of Emma Stone (but none of the men of course). Then there was the underlying philosophy that humanity is essentially evil, in a cartesian universe of self created ghouls that would have put William Golding to shame.

It's Frankensteinian, based on a book i haven't read, but walking out of that cinema i almost felt like weeping for Mary Shelly. Fucking terrible movie. Waste of resources, grotesque in the bits it wasn't trying to be grotesque about, explicit body horror that was pointless and all the comedic parts had been seen on the trailer. 1/5 from me, although it will win an oscar no doubt and it has received rave reviews, which is why i went.

Up next, is Killers of the flower moon, which i'm only half way through and yet to decide if life is long enough to finish it.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

My brother and his three daughters are visiting and one of them said we should watch the 1989 film "Heathers", which I knew of but hadn't seen. I thought it was fantastic, a very black comedy set in an American High School, it's like "Doctor Strangelove" crossed with "The Breakfast Club".
I can feel it