Domestic energy

Have something related to a scientific discovery/theory or philosophy point you want to discuss?

Also the right spot for discussions about environmental issues facing the world.
stylofone

Domestic energy

Post by stylofone »

The installer just ripped out my gas hot water system and drilled holes in it to render it unusable. This is part of the process to get a rebate for switching from gas to my new electric heat pump which replaces it.

The most ridiculous part of this process is that the gas system was installed because it is classed as "sustainable" under the NSW rules - the Building Sustainability Index. So one set of regulations includes gas as a mandated sustainable technology, and the other one pays a rebate to have it replaced and destroyed because it is NOT sustainable.

At first I was annoyed at the waste, destroying an near-new appliance. I could probably have foregone the rebate and sold it, leaving myself several hundred dollars better off, but then I would be adding to the problem of persistent usage of gas. In fact a better course of action would have been to insist on having the heat pump installed from the very start, but my builder was reluctant to vary the "production line" practice he has with his established suppliers and installers, so I didn't force the issue.
IMG_20231018_081014.jpg
IMG_20231018_081014.jpg (119.32 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
I can feel it