Oz Religious Discrimination Laws

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
Irrev-Black

Oz Religious Discrimination Laws

Post by Irrev-Black »

There seems to be some problem here with people who will not trust in Things Unseen.

Fuck, there goes another bank of Irony Meters.
Senior Liberal Simon Birmingham says it's hard for the Coalition to support religious discrimination laws it has not seen, as the federal government threatens to ditch one of its election promises unless it has the backing of both major parties.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told the Labor party room yesterday he would not proceed with an election promise to reform religious discrimination laws unless he could guarantee the Coalition's support for the bill.

Mr Albanese justified that decision by saying it would not be appropriate to start a fractious debate on whether to introduce new protections for LGBT students with community tensions already high due to the conflict in Gaza.

Shadow Senate Leader Simon Birmingham, one of the most senior moderate voices in the Liberals, told the ABC the opposition wanted to see the legislation.

"It's reasonable to aspire to bipartisanship, but you also have to work to achieve bipartisanship … the opposition has not yet seen the proposals from the government, so it's very hard to give bipartisanship to something you have not seen," Senator Birmingham said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-20/ ... /103607316
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Re: Oz Religious Discrimination Laws

Post by stylofone »

Here's a case study to make you angry.

Sexuality and gender identity are obviously incredibly important, but I think it goes further. Indoctrinating children and withholding information about all the choices they have is also an abuse of their rights. If you are providing an education for children, they should be taught that their religion is a choice. If you want to teach them something else, for example if you want to lie and say that your religion it is a fact and that the children are somehow evil or a lesser person if they don't follow the particular religion the school is linked to, then that indoctrination can't done in the context of a school or a hospital or other non-religious social institution. Of course the sexuality issue has the potential to be damaging to children in very intense ways, but in fact the entire canon of religion is not appropriate for the public sphere in my opinion. What I am advocating, essentially, is that the separation of church and state be extended to funding and accrediting schools and all the rest. Quit indoctrination, or lose it.

My other ranty thing is that in some ways modern religions are getting worse. In the US they have gone after abortion, they are going after contraception and sex before marriage, they will go after women's rights in the workplace, they will seek freedom to be anti-semitic, to discriminate against indigenous people or anyone different to them, they will seek to undermine democracy in the name of religious freedom. It's fucking scary. Dutton should be worried, they'll come for him too.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5fdjz.html
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Re: Oz Religious Discrimination Laws

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:40 am There seems to be some problem here with people who will not trust in Things Unseen.

Fuck, there goes another bank of Irony Meters.
Senior Liberal Simon Birmingham says it's hard for the Coalition to support religious discrimination laws it has not seen, as the federal government threatens to ditch one of its election promises unless it has the backing of both major parties.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told the Labor party room yesterday he would not proceed with an election promise to reform religious discrimination laws unless he could guarantee the Coalition's support for the bill.

Mr Albanese justified that decision by saying it would not be appropriate to start a fractious debate on whether to introduce new protections for LGBT students with community tensions already high due to the conflict in Gaza.

Shadow Senate Leader Simon Birmingham, one of the most senior moderate voices in the Liberals, told the ABC the opposition wanted to see the legislation.

"It's reasonable to aspire to bipartisanship, but you also have to work to achieve bipartisanship … the opposition has not yet seen the proposals from the government, so it's very hard to give bipartisanship to something you have not seen," Senator Birmingham said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-20/ ... /103607316
pope.jpg
pope.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Poped. Albo squibs it again.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.