Linux

All things technology oriented.
stylofone

Linux

Post by stylofone »

Woke up this morning and my GUI didn't start. I had the Linux blues! although any operating system can have problems of course.

A quick search on another device found multiple suggestions to fix it. I reinstalled xorg and it was fine. I think there might have been some sort of conflict or misconfiguration with the most recent system upgrade which didn't manifest itself until I rebooted this morning.
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Re: Linux

Post by joele »

Been a long time since I last saw that happen, but have been there.. Thankfully there is plenty of support out there to fix Linux and CLI allows fall back to do it..

Similar things happened to me a few times when I tried out manjaro (early on in it's life), updates were rather nerve-racking, but I believe they are better these days.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Re: Linux

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:22 am Been a long time since I last saw that happen, but have been there.. Thankfully there is plenty of support out there to fix Linux and CLI allows fall back to do it..

Similar things happened to me a few times when I tried out manjaro (early on in it's life), updates were rather nerve-racking, but I believe they are better these days.
I think this has happened to me twice using LXDE. More recently I had a different problem, my main hard drive is a smallish SSD. It's fine as long as I configure everything to save bulky files on a different drive, but one program (Nicotine) is a bit weird and sometimes it fills the system drive to 100%. When that happens it won't boot. The problem is there is no message that says "insufficient disk space to start system - try freeing up space by moving or deleting files". You sort of have to guess, similar to the problem with the GUI not starting.

My Mum has a similar problem with her little Windows 10 laptop. It was fine when she first bought it, but now automatic updates can make it seize up due to lack of disk/RAM space to buffer the files. There microsoft knowledge base had a fix which basically involved turning it off and on again multiple times, but sometimes you have to force a reboot by holding down the power button when you see a white screen or whatever. The hardest part was getting Mum to do it in the right order over the phone.
I can feel it