Why is it so?

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
two dogs

Why is it so?

Post by two dogs »

Why would Band-Aid claim that the illustration on the packaging of one of their products is the ACTUAL SIZE of the product when it's verifiably untrue? ;)

Yes, I'm so anal-retentive that I needed to check their claim. ;)

In their defence, they are providing a larger product.

I could also complain that the product has a different appearance to the image on the packaging, but I'm inclined to think that they're using up old packaging for a new version of the product?
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
two dogs

Re: Why is it so?

Post by two dogs »

Why, when one household in the street incorrectly puts out their garbage bins for collection on the wrong day, do many other households blindly follow suit? :?

FFS, today is Monday, and the collection day has been Wednesday for the 20+ years I've been living here! :roll:

And yes, I've checked the council website to ensure that I somehow didn't miss being notified of a change in the collection date. ;)

David Morrison (1956 -)
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

two dogs wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:11 pm Why, when one household in the street incorrectly puts out their garbage bins for collection on the wrong day, do many other households blindly follow suit? :?

FFS, today is Monday, and the collection day has been Wednesday for the 20+ years I've been living here! :roll:

And yes, I've checked the council website to ensure that I somehow didn't miss being notified of a change in the collection date. ;)
You'd be shocked at how many folk cannot (or "do not bother to") check the calendar.

Eejit next door has missed bin day a few times because I decided to wait till 0530 before putting our bins out.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

two dogs wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:11 pm Why, when one household in the street incorrectly puts out their garbage bins for collection on the wrong day, do many other households blindly follow suit? :?

I sometimes put mine out early when it is full, funnier is as we alternate, hard rubbish one week and recycling (store in warehouse) the next and when people screw that up, it throws the whole street into chaos..
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

Why do some situations make you feel so happy? I don't know why, but this combination of scenery, driving, and music made me feel quite emotional, to the point of happy tears.

The first time I felt this emotion was in the late 1970s, driving an Alfasud Ti, along the then partly gravel Alpine Way, listening to Sebastian Hardie's
Rosanna.

The second time was driving along the Dargo High Plains Road, listening to Nice by Duran Duran.

Sorry for the occasional glitch in the audio. My dash cam has a fixed recording length of one minute, so I've had to patch multiple segments together,
and it seems like one's hearing is better able to register the transitions than one's vision?

David Morrison (1956 -)
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Once when I was driving "Ventura Highway" by America came on and it had a quite overwhelming effect on me, much more than it usually does because it's a favourite of mine. On that occasion the lines about freedom and nature, but also the despair that they push to one side, were particularly relevant to me.

I could get all scientific about it and contemplate the way modern music (i.e. the western canon and all the chord theory etc.) have become a sophisticated form of language which we have learned to respond to both emotionally and intellectually. In one of Paul McCartney's recent interviews he was asked about the effect of music and how it works, and his reply was "it's magic", a concept I normally disapprove of, but I see his point.
I can feel it
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

Fuck me!

Perhaps Bill Gates did manage to get some of us implanted with 5G chips via COVID-19 vaccinations? ;)

In a hypnagogic state last night, for unfathomable reasons, I was wondering if Renee Geyer was still alive.

Bugger me if, after reading the excellent SFGATE article "The end of Elon Musk" that @stylofone recently posted elsewhere, I didn't see this sponsored advertisement following the text!

I'll swear blind that I haven't done any searches for "Renee Geyer" today, or for a long time, if ever!

David Morrison (1956 -)
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

two dogs wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:52 pmI'll swear blind that I haven't done any searches for "Renee Geyer" today, or for a long time, if ever!
That is interesting. The most innocent explanation I can think of is that this old news is algorithmically resurrected by year end features about big events, e.g. the one below, and it was a coincidence that it was served up to you. The less innocent explanation is that surveillance capitalism is somehow discerning things about your mind that you are not consciously aware of. That is certainly the goal, whether it's that good at it yet is harder to say.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/tributes ... 1701673808
I can feel it