Music Videos (and why you posted them)

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
Irrev-Black

Re: Music Videos (and why you posted them)

Post by Irrev-Black »

Music very like Laraaji (and from the same year he put out Day Of Radiance) - teeth very like Shane from the Pogues!

Compare -
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I just read a glowing review of a new Kirsty Maccoll box set, and it brought a tear to my eye. I absolutely adore her. This song is so shiny and bright on the surface, but there's a seam of melancholy in it too, for example that line about "trying to be someone else" flips the whole meaning of the song. Is the quest for this idyll in our wide brown land somehow doomed to fail?

https://thequietus.com/articles/33538-k ... t-girl-box
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

1 - I love Nina Paley's work, and have done so for many years.

2 - This depiction of the song made me angry at times. Then I saw who's the ultimate coloniser.

Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Adrian Edmondson (Vyvyan from The Young Ones) folking around with 1980s tunes.

I only found out about this aspect of the man from a newspaper article I read this morn.

Bad Shepherds = GOOD.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:33 pm Adrian Edmondson (Vyvyan from The Young Ones) folking around with 1980s tunes.

I only found out about this aspect of the man from a newspaper article I read this morn.

Bad Shepherds = GOOD.
That was good, but it's prompted me to dig out a Stranglers album instead.
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I didn't realise that Devo, Neil Young, Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell made a movie called "Human Highway" featuring a fantastic version of "Hey Hey My My" with Mark Mothersbaugh in Booji Boy mode singing the lead vocal. I'm posting it after reading about Devo's new compilations, upcoming documentary, and the revelation that John Lennon was a also fan who came to see them at Max's Kansas City.

After their imperial phase, Devo made some very ordinary records, but in important ways they never sold out, never stopped being Devo.

So now it can be told. Every man, woman and mutant will know the truth about de-evolution!

https://floodmagazine.com/148265/mark-m ... ospective/
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Sometimes I feel jaded as I browse my music folder, and nothing jumps out at me. Today it's the opposite, I've been loving Bowie's Hunky Dory and Station to Station. Faaark, he was the real deal, he owned the 70s like the Beatles owned the 60s. Then it was various Eno collaborations - Cluster and Harold Budd, plus his solo debut. Then I semi-randomly chose Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady, and it really gives me a surge of love. I saw them in Canberra in the 90s when Mike Joyce was the drummer, I met him backstage, fanboi thrill overload! What I'm especially enjoying now is the link between the art-rock early 70s heroes and the punks who came after in a blaze of glory that made it hard to see just how much the earlier artists were the foundation of so much that followed.

I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

I accidentally discovered Live At Daryl's House on YouTube a few weeks ago, and I was looking forward to the Robert Fripp episode.

It certainly didn't disappoint.

https://boingboing.net/2023/11/20/amazi ... house.html

And something about Fripp reminded me of...

Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 amRobert Fripp
He praises the professionalism of his collaborators and it seems odd, like the sun praising the brightness of an LED. The inter-dimensional tone of "Heroes" is equalled by his playing on "Saint Elmo's Fire" IMO.

I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I heard George Winston's "December" at around the same time Harold Budd and Brian Eno released the ambient piano experimental musical sedative "The Pearl", and I lump them together. But Winston is in a way the opposite of the arty minimal Budd and Eno. These are largely traditional Christmas tunes rendered in an evocative way, and even your most music-hating tasteless ugly uncle would find them palatable. The ambiguity is still very strong despite that. One Christmas I put it on and my Mum immediately said "take that music off, it makes me want to cry".

Another thing about these tunes is that a lot of them are religious, but the lyrics are stripped from them and you can imagine that they have been "atheist-ified" if you choose (and yes I do so choose). Having said that the lyrics of "Some Children See Him" are pretty interesting. But if some children imagine the baby Jesus "dark as they", they probably don't know where to buy a Christmas card with a black Jesus on it.

Some children see Him lily white
The baby Jesus born this night
Some children see Him lily white
With tresses soft and fair

Some children see Him bronzed and brown
The Lord of heav'n to earth come down
Some children see Him bronzed and brown
With dark and heavy hair

Some children see Him almond-eyed
This Saviour whom we kneel beside
Some children see Him almond-eyed
With skin of golden hue