What is Elon Musk up to now..

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
joele
Site Admin

What is Elon Musk up to now..

Post by joele »

Thought I would start a general thread to discuss this twit and what he is up to now.

This post was interesting, so I wonder if this offer is open to twitter employees?

Assume it is designed to help bigots/nazis/etc

"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Re: What is Elon Musk up to now..

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:27 amAssume it is designed to help bigots/nazis/etc
Yes, it's "no limit" as long as it's the nazi crap Musk believes in. Even then there's definitely a limit, he's just lying as usual.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Musk, pay a legal bill?

Tell 'em they're dreaming.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:39 am Musk, pay a legal bill?

Tell 'em they're dreaming.
Speaking of Musk and unpaid things...
In news that isn’t very surprising given the recent history of Twitter, which Elon Musk is currently rebranding to X, the company won’t be able to make some promised payments on time. The X Support account says that because its “Ads Revenue Sharing” program is so popular, “We need a bit more time to review everything for the next payout and aim to get all eligible accounts paid as soon as possible.”

From the linked support page:
August 4, 2023 update: The volume of people signing up for revenue sharing has exceeded our expectations. We previously said that payments would occur the week of July 31st. We need a bit more time to review everything for the next payout and hope to get all eligible accounts paid as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/4/23820 ... -elon-musk
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

Who is still advertising with X anyway??

"Confederate flag mart"?
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

joele wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:31 pm Who is still advertising with X anyway??

"Confederate flag mart"?
I actually couldn't tell you.

My personal browser configuration (details reserved) for looking at dead-bird-site doesn't show me adverts or pushed promo xeets.

If it's that easy for me to do, I'd say many folk don't see Elon's shaking of money makers.

X advertisers should probably consider this, along with the other factors.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Cory Doctorow's got a long,well-researched piece on Musk:

https://pluralistic.net/2023/07/28/edison-not-tesla/
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -elon-musk

Another quiet nod to Auntie
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

pipbarber wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:35 pm https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -elon-musk

Another quiet nod to Auntie
At the same time, as well as keeping a presence on birdsite, Auntie has killed off all RSS feeds, and that's almost Murdochian.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:38 pm At the same time, as well as keeping a presence on birdsite, Auntie has killed off all RSS feeds, and that's almost Murdochian.
From that Guardian article:
The withdrawal marks the end of the ABC’s rosy relationship with Twitter, which former ABC managing director Mark Scott once called a “joy” to use for breaking news and conversation.

Scott was an evangelist of the value of social media in journalism, encouraged journalists to join the platform and promoted the ABC’s use of Twitter for disseminating ABC content.
Scott went from the ABC to the NSW Education Department, and I was horrified to see, on a TV report about shitty technology, that he was pushing out an Apple education product (called "Apple Classroom" IIRC). He was followed by Michelle Guthrie, who came out of Google's Singapore office. More recently when ABC iview made it compulsory to have an account, the terms of service were updated to include a requirement to let google have users' data. It's scandalous in my opinion that the national broadcaster has succumbed to silicon valley, and contrary to the charter which says it's non-commercial. It's like Kent Brockman on the Simpsons welcoming our insect overlords.

There is a bit of a siege mentality at the ABC, they are freaking out about the audience getting old and dying, and they can't get young people interested, so they are desperate when it comes to social media and online in general. Right-wing hatred has also made the sword of Damocles (government imposed funding cuts, privatisation, RWNJ board-stacking, advertising etc.) a big distraction over the years.
I can feel it