Opening links in a new browser tab?

Comments, requests, questions or solutions regarding the forums.
two dogs

Opening links in a new browser tab?

Post by two dogs »

Is there a configuration option to force links to be opened in a new browser tab, rather than replacing the contents of the current one?

While I know that a Ctrl-left-mouse-click will do so, I'm kinda used to the old forum behaviour.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
joele
Site Admin

Re: Opening links in a new browser tab?

Post by joele »

two dogs wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:19 pm Is there a configuration option to force links to be opened in a new browser tab, rather than replacing the contents of the current one?

While I know that a Ctrl-left-mouse-click will do so, I'm kinda used to the old forum behaviour.
I am used to right clicking and "open in new tab" so I even never noticed that on the old forum..

Until 5 years ago (or something like that) it was the default in PHPBB (i.e. new tab) but then w3c standard said they shouldn't do that and so some dev decided to revert back to using the same window when opening links.. lmao..

Anyway, there is a community plugin to add an option into the UCP (user control panel) to let each user decide what behavior they prefer. I will try it out tonight and see if it works and enable for everyone if it is good to go..
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

joele wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:25 pm
two dogs wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:19 pm Is there a configuration option to force links to be opened in a new browser tab, rather than replacing the contents of the current one?

I am used to right clicking and "open in new tab" so I even never noticed that on the old forum..

Until 5 years ago (or something like that) it was the default in PHPBB (i.e. new tab) but then w3c standard said they shouldn't do that and so some dev decided to revert back to using the same window when opening links.. lmao..

Anyway, there is a community plugin to add an option into the UCP (user control panel) to let each user decide what behavior they prefer. I will try it out tonight and see if it works and enable for everyone if it is good to go..
Thanks Joel! That's a great solution, provided that you have no concerns with the plugin.

David Morrison (1956 -)
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Related to this, and mentioned by two dogs in the census post, the OG preview seems a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. For now I'm checking any link I post with a preview to see if OG works, and if it doesn't I make a manual text link and quote a title and a bit of text.
I can feel it
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

stylofone wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:48 pm Related to this, and mentioned by two dogs in the census post, the OG preview seems a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. For now I'm checking any link I post with a preview to see if OG works, and if it doesn't I make a manual text link and quote a title and a bit of text.
Good advice! I did check the preview in that post, and it didn't show, but I wasn't sure if it might show after submitting it.

David Morrison (1956 -)
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

yeah sorry it is a 3rd party component (though officially supported one) I will send them some examples of ones that didn't work (like twodogs example) and see what they say (not holding my breath, but will try).
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

OK, I had a look at that community plugin and people were having issues with the current version of phpbb, they had some manual workarounds but there was also an officially supported one. Although it didn't allow each user to configure what they wanted, it just made everything load in new tab like the old forum.. I installed the later and it should be live now..

two dogs

Post by two dogs »

joele wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:11 pm OK, I had a look at that community plugin and people were having issues with the current version of phpbb, they had some manual workarounds but there was also an officially supported one. Although it didn't allow each user to configure what they wanted, it just made everything load in new tab like the old forum.. I installed the later and it should be live now..
Thanks Joel! I see there's now an icon that indicates that, and an "Opens in new window" message that displays on rollover.

David Morrison (1956 -)