Plastic Oceans

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
Wrenn

Plastic Oceans

Post by Wrenn »

I have been aware of the issues of plastic/recycling/exporting for a while but I guess sometimes you have to leave the "lucky" country and travel around south east asia for 6 months to really notice it.

And one thing that stands out is the enormous amount of rubbish everywhere, particulary in the ocean. A storm, tide or even a small breeze can bring mountains of trash from the oceans onto the beaches. I have walked dozens of 7 mile beaches in Australia without seeing a piece of trash, but I havent found a beach in SEA yet that doesnt require careful attention to avoid stepping on something every second step. One morning after a storm at Kata Beach, I walked out and counted at least 30 large chunks of stuff floating in the bay, barrels, tyres wrapped in nets, clumps of bottles tangled in weeds etc.

I guess in Australia we don't get exposed to the currents that carry all this junk, or perhaps as the article hints at, we might just be exporting what we can't manage elsewhere.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-B ... management.
stylofone

Re: Plastic Oceans

Post by stylofone »

Wrenn wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:09 pm I have been aware of the issues of plastic/recycling/exporting for a while but I guess sometimes you have to leave the "lucky" country and travel around south east asia for 6 months to really notice it.

And one thing that stands out is the enormous amount of rubbish everywhere, particulary in the ocean. A storm, tide or even a small breeze can bring mountains of trash from the oceans onto the beaches. I have walked dozens of 7 mile beaches in Australia without seeing a piece of trash, but I havent found a beach in SEA yet that doesnt require careful attention to avoid stepping on something every second step. One morning after a storm at Kata Beach, I walked out and counted at least 30 large chunks of stuff floating in the bay, barrels, tyres wrapped in nets, clumps of bottles tangled in weeds etc.

I guess in Australia we don't get exposed to the currents that carry all this junk, or perhaps as the article hints at, we might just be exporting what we can't manage elsewhere.
Anecdotally, I've noticed rubbish washed up on a few Australian beaches closer to Sydney, although nothing like the horrors described above. Further south where I am now it's pretty good. Apparently the Clyde River is one of the least polluted waterways on the east coast of Australia.
I can feel it
Wrenn

Post by Wrenn »

Actually, I just remembered this, so I guess Australia isnt exporting all the trash!

EDIT: This guys channel is fantastic if you want something positive to watch.

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Wrenn wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:07 pm Actually, I just remembered this, so I guess Australia isnt exporting all the trash!

EDIT: This guys channel is fantastic if you want something positive to watch.

I thought, hmm, I bet it's the Cook's River. I used to live in Ashbury and go walking there. So I've experienced the best and the worst.

Also, when he was wallowing in the filth and he said "I don't know where to start" I thought, start with the ones worth a 10 cent refund!
I can feel it