Is free will logical?

Have something related to a scientific discovery/theory or philosophy point you want to discuss?

Also the right spot for discussions about environmental issues facing the world.
Theisticproatheist

Is free will logical?

Post by Theisticproatheist »

Is free will logical?
Irrev-Black

Re: Is free will logical?

Post by Irrev-Black »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:42 pm Is free will logical?
Let's start with "Is it even there?".
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

You would have to define it first.. i.e. What do YOU mean when you say "free will"?

That is kind of my problem with compatibilism, they (re)define free will in a way so that it can be real alongside determinism (i.e. compatible), but it is not what is generally meant by "free will" historically or by many of people today (that are for and against it).
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:20 pm You would have to define it first.. i.e. What do YOU mean when you say "free will"?

That is kind of my problem with compatibilism, they (re)define free will in a way so that it can be real alongside determinism (i.e. compatible), but it is not what is generally meant by "free will" historically or by many of people today (that are for and against it).
I just read (in the wiki entry on compatabilism ):
As Steven Weinberg puts it: "I would say that free will is nothing but our conscious experience of deciding what to do
If free will is an "experience", or perhaps a feeling, maybe it's more akin to concepts like love, where we are quite comfortable with thinking about it in terms of a poetic or beautiful concept as we experience it subjectively, while also examining the physiological traits, like the state of the brain and the endocrine system, or the evolutionary benefits arising from it and the genes associated with it.
I can feel it