G'day Will I fit in here?

Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.
Theisticproatheist

G'day Will I fit in here?

Post by Theisticproatheist »

G'day,
I'm semi-considering shopping around for a new forum because I feel that the last forum I was at (which I won't name in case it breaks some obscure rule) was getting too many conservative and theocratically minded mods on it who were weaponising the moderation system to shut down speech they didn't like.

So with that little rant out of the way here's some (non identifying) info about me.

I was half indoctrinated into the Community of Christ Church (an offshoot of the LDS church or were the LDS church an offshoot of them?) by my Mum, and half indoctrinated into the Baha'i faith by my Dad from about the time I was 4 (approximately the time he became a Baha'i).

Later on when I got married I decided to take a serious look at the two sets of doctrines and decided that Baha'i made more sense to me and became an active Baha'i.

About a decade after that I would join an online forum where I would become exposed to an enormous variety of different world views and decided the Baha'i faith was no longer what seemed most reasonable to me.

So I set about trying to rationalise my belief system as best as I could to fit reality. Eventually I just realised I'm not a strictly rational person and kinda gave up to some extent, but not without the attempt at making my beliefs as rational as possible. So I'm kind of left with a half post-hoc rationalised spiritual but not religious faith of my own which I won't go too deeply into unless asked.

But I decided that in spite of my belief in a non traditional God of sorts, I have no sound reason for believing. So I can completely agree with atheists who say there is no rational basis for belief in God, and I also picked up a healthy respect for secular humanism along the way even though I dont identify as a secular humanist due to my residual irrational God belief that I couldn't seem to ley go of for reasons unknown to me.

But enough about me :)
Kind regards
~TPA
Irrev-Black

Re: G'day Will I fit in here?

Post by Irrev-Black »

Welcome. Kick about and have a look at some of our discussions.

There's a rule, and you'll find it in this thread.

Here's hoping you enjoy the place.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Theisticproatheist

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:03 pm Welcome. Kick about and have a look at some of our discussions.

Thanks, and I'll do my best to follow the rule, although I admit to being one of the rabble rather than a refined type, so anyway I'm sure if I accidentally cross the rule the mods will patiently explain how and nudge me back in the correct direction.

I appreciate the welcome
Theisticproatheist

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:03 pm Welcome. Kick about and have a look at some of our discussions.

Sorry to pester you with a nube question, but is there a thread you know of which explains how the smilies are interpreted?

Some of them such as the like seem self explanatory but others such as the love heart I'm unsure if I'm saying I love the post or if it is intended to be something else.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:56 pm
Sorry to pester you with a nube question, but is there a thread you know of which explains how the smilies are interpreted?

Some of them such as the like seem self explanatory but others such as the love heart I'm unsure if I'm saying I love the post or if it is intended to be something else.
I wouldn't worry too much about that - it doesn't seem to have been a matter for serious thought so far.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:54 pmmy residual irrational God belief that I couldn't seem to ley go of for reasons unknown to me.
It sounds a bit like long covid to me. Maybe you'll get better soon, hang in there.
I can feel it