Regional Media

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
stylofone

Regional Media

Post by stylofone »

I grew up in the country there were only two TV stations - the ABC and one commercial station, CBN8 in Orange. Even Canberra was regional, it just had CTC 7. This all changed in the 80s with "aggregation" where local stations mirroring their city counterparts were set up. It was a big deal. Now in the digital era, it's decline is accelerating. The main cause, I assume, is the way internet-based monsters led by facebook and google have sucked all the money out of the industry. Even with the massive diversity of new digital forms, the legacy media should at least be able to stay on the air... but no, it looks like their existence is becoming unviable, nothing is safe as the word enshittifies.

https://televisionau.com/2024/05/mildur ... f-air.html
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Re: Regional Media

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:02 am I grew up in the country there were only two TV stations - the ABC and one commercial station, CBN8 in Orange. Even Canberra was regional, it just had CTC 7. This all changed in the 80s with "aggregation" where local stations mirroring their city counterparts were set up. It was a big deal. Now in the digital era, it's decline is accelerating. The main cause, I assume, is the way internet-based monsters led by facebook and google have sucked all the money out of the industry. Even with the massive diversity of new digital forms, the legacy media should at least be able to stay on the air... but no, it looks like their existence is becoming unviable, nothing is safe as the word enshittifies.

https://televisionau.com/2024/05/mildur ... f-air.html
Add in radio takeovers and syndication, and the Rupertisation or closure of all the newspapers.

Fucked, it is, says Yoda.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.