Disabled parking bays

Discussion of Family, Wellbeing, Education, Justice and Sexuality
stevebrooks

Disabled parking bays

Post by stevebrooks »

Interesting little article here about 3 cars parking abreast in 2 disabled parking bays, one in the middle that's marked off to allow for wheelchair access. Disabled person parks across them to teach them a lesson, gets threatened with towing, police and fines, but there's a funny problem there right?
“He threatened me saying that he will call the police on me, he will get my car towed (and) he’ll give me a fine as a response to me telling him that these cars are parked illegally.”
Now, so this parking person has the power to issue fines, call the police and have illegally parked cars towed? And yet he just allowed the 3 cars to park illegally in the handicapped bays with no action? I would suggest this is a case for a lawsuit for illegal discrimination because I can't see how threatening a disabled person for parking illegally is fine, but not doing the same for the other illegal parkers! Are they all able bodies, do they maybe have positions of authority in the uni or something?

Yes definitely lawsuit material there, discrimination against the disabled, applying rules differently to a disabled person than an abled person, that's almost a slam dunk!

“Having accessibility helps everyone.”
Mr Nukunuku said he plans on submitting a complaint to InterPark as well as the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW to raise the matter further.

As well as seeking financial compensation, he said he would like to see more training for staff members and increased penalties for people who park illegally in disabled car spots.
Good on him, this is clearly illegal behaviour and discrimination on the part of the company running the parking in the area, a mob called InterPark.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 3582a64c46