Avoid ads and other nastiness in streaming

All things technology oriented.
stylofone

Avoid ads and other nastiness in streaming

Post by stylofone »

I am impressed by the command line utility yt-dlp. You follow it with the URL of the youtube video, ABC iview link, BBC podcast - whatever you want - and it goes to work like a well-trained hound, sifts through all the crap, and downloads a vanilla media file for you to enjoy. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's cross-platform and it seems very robust. For example:
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
I can feel it
Loki

Re: Avoid ads and other nastiness in streaming

Post by Loki »

Or you could try Grayjay
Loki

Post by Loki »

Is only for social media tho.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

I use "youtubedl-gui" as I'm lazy and like having a GUI, but it is just a frontend (wrapper) for the same youtube-dl that yt-dlp is based on. So very similar..

On my Andorid open source tablet I use Newpipe, advert and "word from sponsor" free and also able to download videos to your tablet/phone. Highly recommend newpipe, great privacy focused youtube watching app.

https://newpipe.net/
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:01 pm I use "youtubedl-gui" as I'm lazy and like having a GUI, but it is just a frontend (wrapper) for the same youtube-dl that yt-dlp is based on. So very similar..

On my Andorid open source tablet I use Newpipe, advert and "word from sponsor" free and also able to download videos to your tablet/phone. Highly recommend newpipe, great privacy focused youtube watching app.

https://newpipe.net/
AFAIK youtube-dl is no longer developed, so it tends to fail on an increasing number of downloads as they evolve to prevent this sort of thing. I have Newpipe installed but my squinty old man eyesight means I generally don't watch videos on my phone.
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:23 pm AFAIK youtube-dl is no longer developed, so it tends to fail on an increasing number of downloads as they evolve to prevent this sort of thing. I have Newpipe installed but my squinty old man eyesight means I generally don't watch videos on my phone.
My mistake, it seems youtubedl-gui now wraps around yt-dlp..
youtube-dl.png
youtube-dl.png (16.9 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:44 pm
stylofone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:23 pm AFAIK youtube-dl is no longer developed, so it tends to fail on an increasing number of downloads as they evolve to prevent this sort of thing. I have Newpipe installed but my squinty old man eyesight means I generally don't watch videos on my phone.
My mistake, it seems youtubedl-gui now wraps around yt-dlp..

youtube-dl.png
I'm not too sure how these things work, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the same people were behind all these projects, especially because one of them was subject to RIAA legal vandalism attack a few years ago.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Or just download something without copyright problems: heaps of material in https://wikidata-todo.toolforge.org/wikiflix/#/
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:34 pm Or just download something without copyright problems: heaps of material in https://wikidata-todo.toolforge.org/wikiflix/#/
Now I am educated about the amazing existence of Eveready Harton. Hilarious and wrong on many levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eveready_ ... d_Treasure
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I was watching an embedded video about the very non-fascist subject of a new virtual synthesiser for the Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano nerdy music gadget. At the end I was shocked to see that 5 of the 6 recommended videos were far right dog-whistling racist shit. My browser is fairly tightly locked down with cookies disabled and a VPN for privacy, so I should look like a "new user" to youtube. So this is what the algorithm classes as generic. Google/youtube is just plain evil as far as I'm concerned.
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 14-22-40 Critter & Guitari.jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 14-22-40 Critter & Guitari.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 120 times
I can feel it