Invasion Day

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
stylofone

Invasion Day

Post by stylofone »

If Peter Dutton calls for a Woolies boycott, I am going to do the opposite. I note that Aldi is also not selling Invasion Day plastic junk, but Coles is. So I'll stick to Aldi and switch to Woolies for those non-Aldi items. Australia Day is awful, so is Anzac Day.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-11/ ... /103309612
I can feel it
pipbarber

Re: Invasion Day

Post by pipbarber »

It's the worst day of the year, but it could be turned into a national day of mourning easily enough, that's what it's becoming anyway - and without any help from politicians. The crowds at march for first nations recognition dwarf the flag waving bunch, at least in the cities - it's heartening that.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:59 am If Peter Dutton calls for a Woolies boycott, I am going to do the opposite. I note that Aldi is also not selling Invasion Day plastic junk, but Coles is. So I'll stick to Aldi and switch to Woolies for those non-Aldi items. Australia Day is awful, so is Anzac Day.

Dutton, in his spud-headed simplicity, fails to recognise that the decision to not stock foreign-made cheap plastic tat with colony flags on is simply a mercenary one: there wasn't enough profit for Woolies in handling that rubbish.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:06 am
Dutton, in his spud-headed simplicity, fails to recognise that the decision to not stock foreign-made cheap plastic tat with colony flags on is simply a mercenary one: there wasn't enough profit for Woolies in handling that rubbish.
It must be disconcerting for spud when his two great loves, capitalism and nationalism, prove to be incommensurable on some things. What a confusing crisis for him.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
nibble

Post by nibble »

stylofone wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:59 am Australia Day is awful, so is Anzac Day.
I'd be cautious with Anzac Day. This day is highly revered by Aussies and any criticism will be met with retaliation. It has become religious like.
Spiral out ....
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

nibble wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:48 am
stylofone wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:59 am Australia Day is awful, so is Anzac Day.
I'd be cautious with Anzac Day. This day is highly revered by Aussies and any criticism will be met with retaliation. It has become religious like.
Always has been: read about Canon Garland's politics and motivations. He seems to have been that worst of critters - an authoritarian with religious cammo.
David Garland was a crusader for religious education in state schools in Western Australia and Queensland. It was a final political act in the very long battle between Church and Secular education, in the settlement of state education and the withdrawal of State Aid; as reflected in Wendy Mansfield’s assessment that “Garland was never loath to mix the spiritual and the secular.” Garland’s impact, though, went further into a cultural conservatism, ignoring the slow ‘winds of change’. World War I created in Garland a polemDavid Garland was a crusader for religious education in state schools in Western Australia and Queensland. It was a final political act in the very long battle between Church and Secular education, in the settlement of state education and the withdrawal of State Aid; as reflected in Wendy Mansfield’s assessment that “Garland was never loath to mix the spiritual and the secular.” Garland’s impact, though, went further into a cultural conservatism, ignoring the slow ‘winds of change’. World War I created in Garland a polemic figure who was no doubt kindly Anglican cleric, but his genuine garb of spirituality hides the possibility of a deeper assessment in political relations: character falsely excuses behaviour (a wider theme I will be exploring among Brisbane thinkers).

With Colonel A. J. Thynne, Garland was the Co-Founder of the Compulsory Service League. His outlook was colonial and imperialist, at a time when the war mentality was killing liberal thought (in terms of both die Kultur and Britannia). There are several nuances in Garland’s character, a very complex churchmanship, to which John Moses explains as Selbstverstaendnis, the biographical self-perception. This view is of Garland as a Gladstonian Imperialist, combined with a mixed ‘Orange’ and Anglo-Catholic theological outlook. Garland’s biblicalism in the state education movement speaks of the militancy of the Irish Protestant mindset (‘Orange’). His Anglo-Catholic conversion softens his outlook but it did not diminish Garland’s political militancy.ic figure who was no doubt kindly Anglican cleric, but his genuine garb of spirituality hides the possibility of a deeper assessment in political relations: character falsely excuses behaviour (a wider theme I will be exploring among Brisbane thinkers).

With Colonel A. J. Thynne, Garland was the Co-Founder of the Compulsory Service League. His outlook was colonial and imperialist, at a time when the war mentality was killing liberal thought (in terms of both die Kultur and Britannia). There are several nuances in Garland’s character, a very complex churchmanship, to which John Moses explains as Selbstverstaendnis, the biographical self-perception. This view is of Garland as a Gladstonian Imperialist, combined with a mixed ‘Orange’ and Anglo-Catholic theological outlook. Garland’s biblicalism in the state education movement speaks of the militancy of the Irish Protestant mindset (‘Orange’). His Anglo-Catholic conversion softens his outlook but it did not diminish Garland’s political militancy.
https://mappingbrisbanehistory.com.au/h ... d-garland/
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

nibble wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:48 am
My position is that a day specifically expressing strong belief in peace should be given more prominence. If we have to have a day commemorating war, it should be based on Word War 2, where the moral clarity was much better. Also, by fighting in the Pacific for our own defence and that of our neighbours it was much more like a national coming of age than Gallipoli was, if anyone even cares about vague concepts like "national coming of age".

I know things are bad, but I feel it is always OK to express that opinion.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

And setting aside the largely-unspoken frontier war and all the dispossession (because it's customary to set it aside), the treatment of those Blakfullas who went to war for the colonisers is quite shitty.
You might have heard of the famous Lovett brothers. They were my great-uncles. Five Aboriginal brothers who represented Australia in the first world war. Against the odds, all five came home alive.

When they returned, however, they continued to face racism and discrimination. While white soldiers were given parcels of land to farm, many Aboriginal soldiers had their land taken while they were away.

Despite this, four of the Lovett brothers enlisted for the second world war, as did my grandfather.

More than 20 Lovetts in all have served across every major conflict this country has been involved in. There is hardly any other family like ours.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... indigenous

All those fuckin' dawn services, and still so few people awake.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Spud gets Poped.
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (145.71 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Late add:
NewtonMark@eigenmagic.net
Mark Newton @NewtonMark@eigenmagic.net

It’s great that the one outlet that’s still selling Australia Day merch is The Reject Shop. You can’t write comedy like that.
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:59 am If Peter Dutton calls for a Woolies boycott, I am going to do the opposite. I note that Aldi is also not selling Invasion Day plastic junk, but Coles is. So I'll stick to Aldi and switch to Woolies for those non-Aldi items. Australia Day is awful, so is Anzac Day.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -teneriffe

Bit of a popcorn moment really. Dutton calls for Woolies to be vandalized boycotted, and his half baked followers obey. If only he'd call for BHP to be boycotted, and Santos and Amazon and the RCC and....well, the list is almost endless.

If the price gougers at that supermarket had a sense of humor that'd sell spuds at a heavily reduced bargain price for a week or two.