Dumb mobile phones

All things technology oriented.
nutmeg

Dumb mobile phones

Post by nutmeg »

I don't want a smart phone, but I have reluctantly decided it is time for me to get a moblle phone. The main reason is to receive codes from banks and other organisations who think this is the best/only method of two-factor authentication. I only expect to make outgoing calls in an emergency (e.g. car breakdown), and will hardly ever send texts.

So my ideal phone would be voice calls and text only - no internet, no apps, no camera, no torch, no music. It would have keys/buttons rather than a touchscreen, and a display in muted colours - preferably text only, rather than icons. That's probably impossible to find nowadays, but is there anything that comes close?

I'm also looking for a low cost, pre-paid phone plan, where unused credit lasts as long as possible,

Any recommendations?
Irrev-Black

Re: Dumb mobile phones

Post by Irrev-Black »

I use an Optus X Lite 4G. Does all the stuff I need (phoning), and cheaply.

https://www.optus.com.au/prepaid/phones/optus/x-lite-4

I don't know if my Optus plan is still available, but I buy and use about $30 worth at a time. and if I'm careful to replenish on time, my credit rolls over. I've got in excess of $50 currently.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:29 pm I use an Optus X Lite 4G. Does all the stuff I need (phoning), and cheaply.

I don't know if my Optus plan is still available, but I buy and use about $30 worth at a time. and if I'm careful to replenish on time, my credit rolls over. I've got in excess of $50 currently.
@nibble - that particular phone is reduced to $49 at Coles supermarkets for a week from tomorrow, by the way.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:29 am
Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:29 pm I use an Optus X Lite 4G. Does all the stuff I need (phoning), and cheaply.

xxxxxx - that particular phone is reduced to $49 at Coles supermarkets for a week from tomorrow, by the way.
should read @nutmeg
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Dumbphones: it's a trend.
They make up only a tiny portion of Australia's mobile phone market, but dumbphones (also known as feature phones) are being adopted by people looking to cut down on their screen time, find focus or even save some money.

Smartphones allow us to do a lot of creative and personal tasks, but for some they are linked to everything from social media and gaming addiction to expensive data bills, reduced attention spans and even loneliness.

A 2019 study found problem mobile phone use in Australia had increased since 2005, with more people feeling lost without their devices or experiencing problems such as a loss of sleep.

The study found women and those aged between 18 and 24 exhibited the most problematic mobile phone use, but older age groups also saw an increase in such issues.

It means that for some Australians, their mobile phone use has become such an issue that they've turned back the clock to a simpler time, when old-school "flip" and "brick" phones ruled the market.
As well as the distractions, I couldn't be fucked carting a stylus (fingertips too dry for touchscreens) and my reading glasses everywhere. I'm quite happy to compartmentalise my life into online/offline.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-07/ ... /103313878
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Optus just dumped my affordable plan, and they can get stuffed.

If anyone wants my Optus Lite 4G phone, PM me.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

By coincidence, I got an email today about Telstra dumping 3G. It turns out my phone is 4G for data, but doesn't support the relevant 4G voice mode - it slips back to 3G for voice calls. There are suggestions it can be hacked to enable VoLTE, but I am not feeling confident. So it will stop being a phone in June.

Ah well, it is 10 years old and a bit clunky. I wish I could keep it going for another 10.
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

I uninstalled Microsoft Teams from phone over the holidays. Work want to contact me they can call me, but I am not sitting there on teams 24/7 any more..

Not exactly the same, but on the same track I guess.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
nutmeg

Post by nutmeg »

I've finally got a mobile phone and activated it. In the end I settled for an Opel Lite 4G and PAYG from Aldimobile.

The phone has far more features than I need - e.g. I'm not going to listen to FM radio on the phone, when my pocket radio (same size as this phone, and much smaller than a smart phone, does DAB+

All seems to be working so far
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

nutmeg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:18 pm I've finally got a mobile phone and activated it. In the end I settled for an Opel Lite 4G and PAYG from Aldimobile.

(SNIP)
Yeah, the phone and provider I wound up with also!
Prove me wrong.