Doctor Who

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
stylofone

Doctor Who

Post by stylofone »

Lots of Doctor Who events are almost upon us: the return of David Tenant, the debut of Ncuti Gatwa, and the discovery of two lost episodes featuring William Hartnell. Fantastic!

The word on the street is that the Guardian article is wrong about the collector who has the lost episodes, they are NOT withholding them due to legal worries, this was a misunderstanding or a misquote, confusing this issue with a separate case involving collectors of non-Doctor Who rarities. Also, I can't find out what the two episodes are, that doesn't seem to have been made public.

For me personally the pleasure is not so much from watching the episodes, an experience which is often underwhelming. It's more the sheer wonder that something thought lost forever is still out there. Maybe I would be a bit more excited if some entire stories from the Troughton era could be discovered. When you watch the surviving ones it's hard to get a sense of how the relationships between the Doctor and companions like Hamish and Zoe were developed, because there are so many gaps. Those characters seem more emblematic of the 1960s era... although the scene when Hartnell's Doctor tunes into the Beatles on his all-eras time machine TV is hard to beat.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... hem-to-bbc
I can feel it
stylofone

Re: Doctor Who

Post by stylofone »

Hmmm, it seems to be turning into a sort of whimsical musical low fantasy, with repeated fourth-wall breaking. I don't think they got it right, it's unnecessary. Other aspects of it are good. I am rusted on, it will take a lot to lose me. Much of Ncuti Gatwa's power remains untapped IMO.
I can feel it