What's That Former Global Atheist Convention Guest Up To Now?

Discussion of religion, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and similar topics.
Irrev-Black

What's That Former Global Atheist Convention Guest Up To Now?

Post by Irrev-Black »

PZ Myers, come on down!
In a totally unsurprising announcement, Ayaan Hirsi Ali renounces atheism and declares herself a Christian. I half-expected this to happen — she’s been working at the Hoover Institute with a lot of wealthy conservative Republicans, it was just going to take time to realize who was buttering her bread. I’ve read her autobiography, and it was clear that what drove her was in large part a resentment of the terrible Islamic authoritarians who controlled her life for so long. Well, now she’s come full circle and is identifying with a different set of terrible authoritarians.
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula ... stian-now/
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Re: What's That Former Global Atheist Convention Guest Up To Now?

Post by joele »

Umm interesting that at no point did she say she saw the light, found god etc she just talked about her perceived utility of Judeo-Christianity in fighting Islam (and authoritarianism, ignoring that it is that too). How pathetic.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

This thread has some amusing potential. Was dawkins in attendance?

He's still an atheist presumably, and also a smug anti-trans privileged conservative fuckwit. Who else was there who turned out to be less than pleasant?
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

pipbarber wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:24 pm This thread has some amusing potential. Was dawkins in attendance?

He's still an atheist presumably, and also a smug anti-trans privileged conservative fuckwit. Who else was there who turned out to be less than pleasant?
There's an opportunity that I won't pick up.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

So, at least from my reading of it, the AHA take on xtianity is about the (fallacious) judeo-xtian civilisation, and no mention of a Personal Jesus.

You may read her reasoning, in all its depth, here.

https://unherd.com/2023/11/why-i-am-now-a-christian/
Prove me wrong.
Theisticproatheist

Post by Theisticproatheist »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:38 am So, at least from my reading of it, the AHA take on xtianity is about the (fallacious) judeo-xtian civilisation, and no mention of a Personal Jesus.

You may read her reasoning, in all its depth, here.

https://unherd.com/2023/11/why-i-am-now-a-christian/
I read through her reasoning in full, thanks for sharing.

It seems to be a combination of her fears for the destruction of western civilisation and her own personal inability to find purpose as an atheist.

Although I'm personally a believer I believe in creating my own purpose, better than being enslaved to a handed down sense of purpose designed by some other human in my view.

As to her fear for the destruction of western civilisation she seems to think that is only one thing, and that so called "woke ideology" is not part of it.

I think that science and a scientific and critical thinking education are the best defenders of western civilisation, and it is my view that conservative Christianity is as much of a threat to western civilisation as conservative Islam is.