Things Newly Enshittified

All things technology oriented.
Irrev-Black

Things Newly Enshittified

Post by Irrev-Black »

Youtube links are now almost useless to me on Firefox.

I'm migrating some of my use to the Brave browser, as it seems thus far to be immune from the advertisement plague, while I look for better, more usable, solutions.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Re: Things Newly Enshittified

Post by joele »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:20 pm Youtube links are now almost useless to me on Firefox.

I'm migrating some of my use to the Brave browser, as it seems thus far to be immune from the advertisement plague, while I look for better, more usable, solutions.
I'm persisting with Librewolf (firefox based), however I need to have brave installed for a number of sites that simply won't work on firefox based browsers correctly...

Kinda shit though we are forced into the google monopoly of chrome based browsers.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

I found an out!

Switching my ad-preventer choice to UBlock Origin, clearing cache and stored settings, and giving the Choob time to forget me, all seem to have returned my powers.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:20 am I found an out!

Switching my ad-preventer choice to UBlock Origin, clearing cache and stored settings, and giving the Choob time to forget me, all seem to have returned my powers.
Nah, the pox is back.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:21 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:20 am I found an out!

Nah, the pox is back.
It varies. Currently I can use the Choob without too much trouble.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Enshittified recently: The Beatles, fed to the AI critter.

I won't quote the song title or link to the video, but musically the song is mediocre.

All the George Harrison source material available to the "creators", and they couldn't even bring a credible slide guitar sound to the party!

Now that I have seen and heard, I shall speak of that thing no more.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:58 pm Enshittified recently: The Beatles, fed to the AI critter.

I won't quote the song title or link to the video, but musically the song is mediocre.

All the George Harrison source material available to the "creators", and they couldn't even bring a credible slide guitar sound to the party!

Now that I have seen and heard, I shall speak of that thing no more.
I expected nothing better, especially because the song was one of John's rejects from 1978. I think it's the best of the three posthumous productions, but I don't consider them as part of the canon as such, it's an exercise in nostalgia by a couple old blokes. Ringo's joyous participation radiates sincerity. I quite like it and I don't care if that makes me an uncritical fanboy. Of course I am, I live for it!

Rick Beato's breakdown is good, eventually agreeing with you.

I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Things newly enshittified? Garage doors! You used to be able to use all sorts of apps and whatnot to control the garage door, but this US company just issued an "upgrade" which forces you to use their app, including all its surveillance features.

(EDIT: preview doesn't seem to work but there's a link below to the article about this)

Cory Doctorow is awesome. For example, I like the way he calls out Meta and Alphabet's core business a "crime spree". I don't like the implicit worship of consumerism in his arguments. This is only partly because I am a grumpy hippy. I recall seeing a billboard for automatic garage doors many years ago, and the slogan was something like "exercise sucks". It was at a time I was having some success in combating my sedentary office job lifestyle, and I took offence at this socially malign sales pitch. I decided then that I would not own a motorised garage door, I would stay living in the past for this particular consumer luxury, and also enjoy my very pleasurable exercise regime.

An example to illustrate my criticism of the Doctorow doctrine:
Enshittification is demoralizing. To quote Wil Wheaton, every update to the services we use inspires "dread of 'How will this complicate things as I try to maintain privacy and sanity in a world that demands I have this thing to operate?'"
Cory is advocating for the maintenance of privacy and consumer rights via regulation and other measures. What I would like to see more of is disobedience in response to the "demands" that I own things like automatic garage doors. Consumer boycotts, simple living, lifestyle minimalism are joyous revolutionary actions against capitalism. So just don't own the product! Before a product becomes overly enshittified, think of a way to simplify your lifestyle, get rid of the product and the problem never arises. I have done this with a few things: air conditioning, dishwashers, the NBN. Recent enshittification and surveillance in cars is increasing my desire to take that big step, although it's a hard one.

https://pluralistic.net/2023/11/09/lead ... hamberlain
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

I'm pleased to report a de-enshittification. Please spread the word widely, that others may see the good.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-67373472
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Got anything on Tumblr you want to keep? Start archiving...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/11 ... gns-staff/
Prove me wrong.