Your local mercenary spritualists, quacks and pesudo-science salesfolk

Discussion of religion, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and similar topics.
stylofone

Your local mercenary spritualists, quacks and pesudo-science salesfolk

Post by stylofone »

I believe it's much worse up north in places like Byron Bay and Nimbin, but I've noticed a lot of wellness and spiritual capitalism springing up around here. On my daily walk through the suburbs there's a house with a sandwich board out the front offering reiki and psychic services. A recently established business took over a large premises on one of the main roads here, and called it "Soul Tribe", mostly yoga by the looks of things. On the weekend I went to the tiny but charming Bodalla Public School fete and was surprised to see a crystal healing business was one of the few stalls. I managed to resist the temptation to attempt a conversation with the proprietors, instead chatting to the woman in the ice cream van. Deep down I have an urge to do the atheist equivalent of Jesus and the money changers, flipping over tables (as seen in our funny thread), but outwardly I am chilled.

As soon as you arrive in Batemans Bay from the Kings Highway there's a big sign at the roundabout promoting good old chiropractic. Another service has a sandwich board claiming "there is magic in a healthy spine", which has an unusual honesty about it if you infer a literal rather than metaphorical meaning of the word "magic".

Edit: The typo in the thread title is unintentional, if it was "spirtualists" it might be even better. If you are "spirtual" all the time you could get into trouble with the law, especially if it was at the school fete.
I can feel it