What's Wrong With Oz Politics?

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
Irrev-Black

What's Wrong With Oz Politics?

Post by Irrev-Black »

Well, for a start, there's a clear reason why the landlord faction are always going to get favorable decisions:
Were you to peruse the politicians’ register of interests, you would find that most of our cherished leaders own investment properties, and many have many investment properties.

Many of these will be let out via Airbnb and assorted other short-term holiday rental operators. That is not disclosed. For the sake of accountability, as well as pure prurience, we are publishing available data. It is thanks to Sean Johnson’s website openpolitics.au. You will find more detail there.

Shortly, we will get to what you can’t see (hint: what is hidden by trusts).

But to get to the guts of this story; our elected representatives can hardly recuse themselves from a vote in which they are conflicted, as that would leave the Chamber very bare; a vote that is on anything to do with property reform: negative gearing, housing affordability measures of substance or rental tax reform – as they are likely to back the horse of self-interest.

They benefit if prices are high, both rental and sale prices. (They will all win too from impending Stage 3 tax cuts legislation, to the tune of 9k apiece, but that is another story).
https://michaelwest.com.au/sacred-cow-a ... al-reform/
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Re: What's Wrong With Oz Politics?

Post by Irrev-Black »

And now, as the Voice referendum lies trampled underfoot, the worst actors have learned that lying hard, and lying often, is a successful strategy.

There may never again be a vote based on reasoned debate.

I'm now very interested in "instead" solutions that involve whatever can be done without involving any of the self-serving privilege preservation clubs.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Too much MAGA playbook, not enough larrikinism.
Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
I'm neither young nor free, and I resent anyone claiming I have to sing Magic Song and adore Magic Rag.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:48 am Too much MAGA playbook, not enough larrikinism.

Untitled.jpeg

I'm neither young nor free, and I resent anyone claiming I have to sing Magic Song and adore Magic Rag.
How do they define "growing" as in "growing calls". I assert that there are "shrinking calls", and this is why the diminishing number of shitclowns who are compelled to make a fuss about this meaningless garbage are using their privilege to get Channel Nine to give them a platform.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:41 am
Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:48 am Too much MAGA playbook, not enough larrikinism.

Untitled.jpeg

How do they define "growing" as in "growing calls". I assert that there are "shrinking calls", and this is why the diminishing number of shitclowns who are compelled to make a fuss about this meaningless garbage are using their privilege to get Channel Nine to give them a platform.
Somebody really ought to tabulate the deaths, ruined careers, and otherwise fucked-up lives that are directly attributable to pointless, spurious, dog-whistle calls from creatures of the rupertoid genus.

ADD: Actually, if song and rag are coming to represent the will of racists-playing-patriot-games, then I will be forced to turn my back.
Prove me wrong.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

It's this kind of patriotic claptrap that makes me almost proud to remember my meaningless burbling when I read the "oath" when I joined up in this splendid country.
[Actually it was more about the fact I was (almost) compelled to swear allegiance to a Monarch of whom I was already a "subject" and who wasn't, and couldn't be, an Australian.]
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Bloke who apparently can't get a decent tailor or hairdresser, can still afford to buy or rent Oz politicians, US ex-prezzes, and a UK nepo-baby of much privilege.

https://theklaxon.com.au/ztem-76/
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:53 pm Bloke who apparently can't get a decent tailor or hairdresser, can still afford to buy or rent Oz politicians, US ex-prezzes, and a UK nepo-baby of much privilege.

https://theklaxon.com.au/ztem-76/
golding 2.jpg
golding 2.jpg (43.08 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Appropriate Golding toon.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

As the late John Lennon said "just gimme some truth".
The recent Voice of Parliament referendum served as a wake-up call for the government, prompting it to consider the need for truth in political advertising legislation. This referendum, which aimed to establish an Indigenous Voice to Parliament and constitutional recognition, faced fierce opposition characterised by a campaign riddled with falsehoods – the fact that this referendum became a catalyst for government action speaks to the severity of the issue and the potential harm that deceptive political advertising can inflict on the democratic process.

However, not everyone is in favour of these proposed laws, with groups such as the conservative Advanced Australia and the Liberal Party have openly expressed their opposition to truth in political advertising legislation. Their resistance raises questions about their motivations and intentions as it suggests they rely on misleading or false information to advance their political goals and that, without this tool of misinformation available to them, they will have a diminished chance of electoral success in future elections.

Despite the opposition – which flies in the face of the public’s desire to have this kind of legislation in place – it is essential to acknowledge that truth in political advertising legislation represents a significant step toward enhancing the quality of political discourse in Australia and reducing the spread of misinformation. These laws have the potential to set a higher standard for political campaigns and hold politicians accountable for the veracity of their claims and, in a democratic system that thrives on informed and engaged citizens, the necessity of accurate information cannot be overstated.

While the exact provisions of the legislation are yet to be revealed, the very concept of holding politicians accountable for their statements should be encouraged.
And, as Lennon didn't say, point and shout "here's somebody with a vested interest in lies" at anyone who opposes the idea of truth in political advertising.

https://newpolitics.substack.com/p/trut ... engthening
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Well, i can perfectly understand why politicians, corporate owned media and people generally might be reluctant to embrace truth in political advertising. What on earth would they say? The planet is collapsing ecologically, which suggests a future of food and water shortages, our economic system only really benefits the top 20% and what developed world advantages we have are entirely based on the exploitation of people in poorer countries? Vote for us, we won't change a thing?

Most people, i suspect, would prefer a good story, even if its a myth.

If the legislation gets up, fact checking will become a boom industry. I hope it gets up.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber