Weather

Have something related to a scientific discovery/theory or philosophy point you want to discuss?

Also the right spot for discussions about environmental issues facing the world.
stylofone

Weather

Post by stylofone »

I am a summer person, I love hot weather. If it's too hot I take pleasure in finding simple ways to ease the discomfort. But this year I am loving spring too. September and October are the months when daylight goes up a gear. Every single day in those two months there is an extra two minutes plus of daylight. At the end of a week you've got 15 minutes more. I'm not sure how the planetary geometry varies elsewhere on the globe in terms of day length, but that's how it is here.
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 15-47-31 Sunrise and sunset times in 35°42'43 S 150°10'45 E November 2023.png
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 15-47-31 Sunrise and sunset times in 35°42'43 S 150°10'45 E November 2023.png (73.33 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
[source: timeanddate. com]
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Re: Weather

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:49 pm I am a summer person, I love hot weather. If it's too hot I take pleasure in finding simple ways to ease the discomfort. But this year I am loving spring too. September and October are the months when daylight goes up a gear. Every single day in those two months there is an extra two minutes plus of daylight. At the end of a week you've got 15 minutes more. I'm not sure how the planetary geometry varies elsewhere on the globe in terms of day length, but that's how it is here.

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 15-47-31 Sunrise and sunset times in 35°42'43 S 150°10'45 E November 2023.png

[source: timeanddate. com]
Sir may find this interesting...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... e_duration
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

West of us, there's a pyrocumulus thunderstorm.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Excellent rainfall here. My new and newish tanks are close to their capacity of 6,000 litres. The ABC NSW weather person Tom Saunders recently said el Nino can bring a wet December, it's the months after that are dry. I also read on another site that the behaviour of the jet streams can override el Nino, and that's what's happening now.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 16-37-34 Canberra Weather Radar Rain Radar for Canberra ACT 128km.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 16-37-34 Canberra Weather Radar Rain Radar for Canberra ACT 128km.jpg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I've got 36.1 on my back verandah at the moment, 2 degrees under the BoM reading at Moruya down the road. It's 29 inside which is not bad but I think I can do better if I ever get around to further insulation and shading projects.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 16-00-06 Batemans Bay Weather Forecast Today's Local Weather Forecast.png
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 16-00-06 Batemans Bay Weather Forecast Today's Local Weather Forecast.png (14.91 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

My crappy thermometer shows 31 outside (the detector thingy is on the south-facing back verandah which has shade for most of the day) and 29 inside. It's 26 in the bedroom which has been closed off all day and seems to avoid a lot of the radiated heat too.

It hasn't been too bad but I stuck to the plan and went to the beach, and also drank two glasses of very cold beer.

Tomorrow looks promising, 90% chance of rain, 40-80mm. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

I'm just back from a snooze in 34.5 degrees.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

The heavy rain forecast for today hasn't hit here yet. We've had a few showers in the lead-up to it. It's extraordinary that it is caused by the remnants of cyclone Kirrily more than a week after its peak in FNQ.

https://business.weatherzone.com.au/tra ... ds-to-nsw/
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

We're having a rare hot spell, for this summer, in Melbourne. 35 today and tomorrow with a typical Melbourne change expected tomorrow night with temperatures dropping to 10C. But February is looking decidedly warmer than what we've had so far this season. I keep looking at the ocean temperature records, everyday now, it's like a standard whether check. I'm mildly concerned that it and other weird climate happenings might produce a hot autumn here, summer might simply be late for us. But who knows.

Not wild about the heat, i have to say.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

pipbarber wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:05 pm We're having a rare hot spell, for this summer, in Melbourne. 35 today and tomorrow with a typical Melbourne change expected tomorrow night with temperatures dropping to 10C. But February is looking decidedly warmer than what we've had so far this season. I keep looking at the ocean temperature records, everyday now, it's like a standard whether check. I'm mildly concerned that it and other weird climate happenings might produce a hot autumn here, summer might simply be late for us. But who knows.

Not wild about the heat, i have to say.
There would be those in the Wimmera who'd have to agree.
Victorian fire authorities have urged several communities in the state's north-west to consider evacuating tonight, ahead of "catastrophic" fire conditions forecast for Tuesday.

Authorities have also urged campers in national parks to leave the area immediately, warning it may be "impossible" for authorities to pull up fires in the area due to the extreme weather.

In a press conference on Monday afternoon, Country Fire Authority chief officer Jason Heffernan said people in Rainbow, Warracknabeal, Minyip, Rupanyup and Murtoa should consider leaving the area on Monday night.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-12/ ... /103456590
Prove me wrong.