Petitions

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
Irrev-Black

Petitions

Post by Irrev-Black »

Verbatim from my inbox.

LINKY
Friend,

Last week, at the Labor National Conference, delegates passed a resolution to put in place the scaffolding for a Murdoch Royal Commission.

The motion was moved by Paddy Crumlin, General Secretary of the Maritime Union of Australia, who declared “there needs to be a review and it needs to be done in a way that exposes the projectile vomiting of ideology from Sky News”.

His words were met with thunderous applause.

While the media diversity motion that passed fell short of explicitly calling for a Royal Commission, delegates did call on the government to recognise that a diverse media sector is “fundamental to a well functioning democracy” and to “implement substantial media reforms”.

The motion was then seconded by government MP Andrew Charlton whose speech included a subtle but important detail as he conceded “the evidence base needed to inform government intervention in the [media] sector is lacking”.

And what would be the single best way to gather evidence for major media reforms? That would be a Royal Commission – so we’re calling on the Albanese Government to do just that.

Can you sign the petition calling on Anthony Albanese to establish a Murdoch Royal Commission?

Of course, we still have a long road ahead of us to make a Murdoch Royal Commission a reality. The motions passed at the National Conference aren’t binding and it’s clear the Albanese Government is currently unwilling to go up against the Murdoch Press.

But in the coming months we’ll have ample opportunities to make our case before a powerful parliamentary inquiry. That, coupled with these recent developments from the National Conference, means there has never been a better time for us to dial up the pressure.

That’s why we are re-launching our record breaking petition calling for a Murdoch Royal Commission – this time addressed directly to Prime Minister Albanese.

Click here to add your name to the petition calling on the Albanese Government to establish a Murdoch Royal Commission!

The Labor National Conference was also an opportunity for us to show key Labor decision makers the data from our Murdoch Referendum Accountability Project.

Dr Fielding, who is leading this research, presented her data at a high-profile fringe event and the response was overwhelmingly positive. A number of delegates and key decision makers engaged with the findings and asked to be kept updated as the campaign continues.

When the dust settles after the referendum there will be a reckoning on the role played by the Murdoch Media in spreading anti-Voice misinformation and providing a megaphone to the most vitriolic elements of the No campaign. It will be a key opportunity for us to push the case for a Murdoch Royal Commission.

Between now and then, we need to show the Albanese Government there is overwhelming public support for a Royal Commission. And the clearest way to do that is by re-launching our record breaking petition, signed by thousands of people.

Click here to add your name to the petition calling on Prime Minister Albanese to call a Murdoch Royal Commission!

Friend, thank you for your ongoing support of this campaign.

Together, we will continue to build pressure needed to establish a Murdoch Royal Commission and build a fairer media landscape.

In solidarity,

Ruby and Kirsti
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Re: Petitions

Post by Irrev-Black »

Truth In Political Advertising.

Yes, please!

https://nb.australiainstitute.org.au/tr ... t_election
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:26 pm Truth In Political Advertising.

Yes, please!

https://nb.australiainstitute.org.au/tr ... t_election
Wilcoxed!
Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (157.43 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Prove me wrong.
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

I found out about this petition via an email from the AFA early this afternoon:

https://secularism.au/2023/10/21/sign-o ... arliament/

It's been up on the Secularism Australia Conference website since the 21st of October, but this is the first time I've become aware of it.

It's probably the case that Dr Meredith Doig, President of the Rationalist Society of Australia, promoted it in her daily newsletter to members, but I missed it because I sometimes skim over what she posts.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

Another petition in which NSW residents might be interested?

I was made aware of it via this email to AFA members this afternoon.

If I'd been asked to proof-read * the email and/or provide constructive criticism of it, I would have proffered this version:
This is a call to action.

In New South Wales, valuable class time is taken up by religions imposing their views on the community. A minority of children attend religion classes in State schools, and this time would be better spent teaching reading, writing, arithmetic, science, humanities, arts, and ethics. This is particularly the case when there is misbehaviour during scripture classes, which can include bullying, discrimination, bigotry, or worse.

The Atheist Foundation of Australia asks that NSW members consider signing the NSW Parliamentary Petition to remove scripture (SRE) from class time in State (Public) schools.

Run Optional Scripture and Ethics Lessons Outside Class Time in NSW Public Schools
versus
This is an important email and call to action.

In New South Wales valuable class time is occupied by religions imposing themselves on the community. A minority of children attend religious classes in State schools and such time would be better spent on reading, writing, arithmetic, sciences, humanities, the arts, morality, ethics, or behaviour - anything else really. This is particularly the case when there is misbehaviour during scripture classes, which can include bullying, discrimination, bigotry, or worse.

The Atheist Foundation of Australia asks all members to sign the NSW Parliamentary Petition to remove scripture (SRE) from curricular class time from State (Public) schools.

"Run Optional Scripture and Ethics Lessons Outside Class Time in NSW Public Schools"
I've not touched this sentence, as I don't understand it:
This is particularly the case when there is misbehaviour during scripture classes, which can include bullying, discrimination, bigotry, or worse.
I think the intended meaning is that the lessons may condone such behaviour, but it reads to me that the students are misbehaving that way?

*My offer in February 2019, after I'd resigned from the AFA CoM, to proof-read communications from the AFA (because they were shit even then) is extant, but has never been taken up. ;)
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

The worst sort of freeloading guest is a billionaire freeloading guest, who's only there because his folks knew folks who knew your folks, way back then.
Why this petition matters
Started by
Alita Brydon

Our nation is having a cost-of-living crisis and we're doing it tough.

King Charles and Queen Camilla will visit Australia in October 2024 and Aussie tax payers should not pay for it.

More than 78% of Australians believe that the Royal Family - not Australian taxpayers - should foot the bill for any travel to Australia.

King Charles is welcome to visit - but he should pay for it himself.

With an estimated $25 billion property portfolio and annual earnings in the millions, he can afford to pay for a couple of days travel in Australia.
https://www.change.org/p/stop-australia ... 1188829039
Prove me wrong.