Tapatalk support?

All the latest forum news and announcements.
two dogs

Tapatalk support?

Post by two dogs »

Does phpBB have a Tapatalk plugin, for easy viewing on a mobile phone/tablet/phablet?
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
joele
Site Admin

Re: Tapatalk support?

Post by joele »

Not sure, the main theme works well on mobile, but i will look around for tapatalk support too..
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

OK there is an official plug-in for phpbb, I don't know how well it will play with other plug-ins like the reactions? we will find out I guess..

I have never been a fan of tapatalk and don't have it installed (I just use browser on phone), so I will need any of you who use it to report back any issues (and whether I am going to need to install it in order to bug fix)..

I will endeavour to get that installed and available some time in the following week (probably in the next day or two, :lol: ).. I will post back here when it is ready to try out.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

joele wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:20 pm OK there is an official plug-in for phpbb, I don't know how well it will play with other plug-ins like the reactions? we will find out I guess..

I have never been a fan of tapatalk and don't have it installed (I just use browser on phone), so I will need any of you who use it to report back any issues (and whether I am going to need to install it in order to bug fix)..

I will endeavour to get that installed and available some time in the following week (probably in the next day or two, :lol: ).. I will post back here when it is ready to try out.
It's not a big deal for me, as I only use it for maybe 25% of my forum viewing. However, I do have a vague recollection of it being some members' main means of access (Mjt?)
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

I'm really sorry about this but I don't think supporting tapatalk is a great idea after reading up on it in phpbb forums.. The only tapatalk plug-in is the official one and it failed security verification by phpbb and tapatalk have never re-submitted it (that was since 2018).

The problem is there are security holes and major bugs in the tapatalk plug-in that nefarious users can exploit
- One that allows users to make themselves moderators.
- The 2nd security hole allows tapatalk users to view anyone's PMs if they extract and modify an API call..
- Tapatalk plugin blocks minor and major upgrades.. There is a bug in the tapatalk installer that corrupts the phpbb DB.

Tapatalk have been completely unresponsive on fixing these issues.

I would love to support it, but based on what I am seeing I am don't want to risk compromising everyone's security and forum stability to have this plug-in. Sorry.. :-(