Backyard critters, great and small

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
The Phantom

Backyard critters, great and small

Post by The Phantom »

The Monarch Butterfly program initiated by Lee (Partner) has been hugely successful. This photo today is testament to that. It has been below zero on a number of occasions lately and somehow they survive. It really is incredible noting how small and frail they are. Obviously, nature has found a way. Good one nature!

If folks would like having Monarchs flitting around their gardens all it takes is growing Milkweed bushes where that is legal and preferable and Googling for clues on what to do next. Hint: the caterpillars are voracious eaters and soon decimate bushes if there is not enough to go around.

Monarch on a lavender bush
Monarch on Lavender ss.JPG
Monarch on Lavender ss.JPG (119.84 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
I could agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong
Irrev-Black

Re: Backyard critters, great and small

Post by Irrev-Black »

Magpie swooping season's early in the ACT.

Climate change or whatever, our butcherbirds have been grabbing handouts for the littlies for more than a month.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-13/ ... /102720730
Last edited by Irrev-Black on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: oops. forgot linky
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

The Phantom wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:49 pm(SNIP)
If folks would like having Monarchs flitting around their gardens all it takes is growing Milkweed bushes where that is legal and preferable and Googling for clues on what to do next. Hint: the caterpillars are voracious eaters and soon decimate bushes if there is not enough to go around.
From Weeds Of Australia website
This species is regarded as an environmental weed in Queensland and Western Australia. It is a common weed of pastures, disturbed sites, waste areas and roadsides and is also found in natural areas (i.e. wetlands, waterways, open woodlands and grasslands).

Red-head cotton bush (Asclepias curassavica) was recently ranked among the top 200 most invasive plants in south-eastern Queensland, and it is mainly a concern in riparian areas and wetlands in this region. In Western Australia it has been found growing in reasonably intact bushland as well as disturbed urban bushland, from Carnarvon to Mandurah.
Prove me wrong.
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:54 pm
This species is regarded as an environmental weed in Queensland and Western Australia. It is a common weed of pastures, disturbed sites, waste areas and roadsides and is also found in natural areas (i.e. wetlands, waterways, open woodlands and grasslands).

Red-head cotton bush (Asclepias curassavica) was recently ranked among the top 200 most invasive plants in south-eastern Queensland, and it is mainly a concern in riparian areas and wetlands in this region. In Western Australia it has been found growing in reasonably intact bushland as well as disturbed urban bushland, from Carnarvon to Mandurah.
Yes, I agree and that is why I mentioned where it is "legal and preferable". It is up to those intending to plant such bushes to check to see if they can escape. For instance, our area has a low rainfall and the plants cannot escape. We monitor the situation regularly in case we have fucked up.

On the other hand, Monarchs are in decline so giving them a helping hand is something we do.
I could agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong
Loki

Post by Loki »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:54 pm

The milkweed referred to here may not be Asclepias curassavica but balloon cotton bush Gomphocarpus physocarpus (or Gomphocarpus fruticosus as you go further south).
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

A mob of urban roos near Ngunnawal, ACT. This was my last walk before my move to the south coast. There's a good roo population at my new place too, but I don't need to leave home to see them, they hop right past my house.
Attachments
roosLast_S.jpg
roosLast_S.jpg (178.17 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

For general butterfly-friendly gardening in Oz, here's a broad help article:
https://www.australianplantsonline.com. ... -gardening

And a SE QLD (probably coastal-biased) list:
https://noosalandcare.org/wp/wp-content ... PLANTS.pdf
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Seasonal upset? More evidence, this time from the SMH...
“It’s that time of year again,” reminds Ned Snow of Lilyfield. “My neighbourhood koel is back from wherever he’s been for the winter, announcing his presence for the past two mornings around 5:30am. Are others too engrossed by other topics to report, or am I just ‘lucky’?
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Mother and joey, literally in my backyard this morning.
Attachments
Roo and joey.jpg
Roo and joey.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

The night before last was "All Hares, All the Time", and I mainly noticed them because I had to review security footage so I could see what was driving the dog crazy.

I'm now looking at last night's archived stuff, to see what set Dog off a few times, and 0133's street-facing camera yields a huge shadow cast under the streetlight, crossing the pool of light below, plus a tantalising glimpse of leg or wingtip at the top margin of view.

The screenshot's nothing much to show, but it may be a Powerful Owl. We've got a few nest trees in the vicinity, and I often see larger critters which are almost certainly their leftovers.

Here's one I prepared earlier...
2015-07-15-kooka+owl.jpg
2015-07-15-kooka+owl.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Prove me wrong.