The Dash Cam Thread

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
two dogs

Re: The Dash Cam Thread

Post by two dogs »

Last Saturday, returning home from a road trip to the Carnarvon National Park in Queensland, I was stuck behind a wide load on the Newell Highway, approaching Coonabarabran from Narrabri. It seemed to be an eternity at the time, but it was probably 15-20 minutes.

I say stuck because the load was the width of two lanes, and a support/pilot vehicle was driving behind it in the right/oncoming lane, probably to dissuade drivers from trying to overtake.

Police and pilot vehicles warned oncoming traffic to get completely off the road to let it pass. It often managed to do ~80 km/h on the mostly flat road (with a 110 km/h speed limit) but slowed significantly on the occasional incline, and possibly to allow oncoming traffic to find a place to pull over safely.

Most of the highway has only two lanes, with an occasional long overtaking lane, but usually in only one direction. Thankfully, eventually, there was a section with an overtaking lane in both directions, and it took up both oncoming lanes, allowing the queue of held-up vehicles to get past on the left.

The load was the chassis of a CAT 793F mining truck. Thank fuck it didn't have the bed and wheels attached!

I knew these fuckers were big, but I didn't realise how big until seeing one in the fleshmetal.

My "fuck me" towards the end of the video is because the ute in front of me slowed down from 105 to 85 km/h for some inexplicable reason?

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

The April video is out, the usual collection of bumble headed fucknuts, in fact there seems to be an unusually dense collection of them in this video!

two dogs

Post by two dogs »

stevebrooks wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 pm The April video is out, the usual collection of bumble headed fucknuts, in fact there seems to be an unusually dense collection of them in this video!
There are some really fuckin' strange people out there! I should probably consider not flashing my headlights or making audible comments in some situations.

I do empathise with the woman in the clip starting at 3:58, repeatedly exclaiming, "Oh shit", after seeing a motorcyclist close to being killed by fuckwit boy racers!

David Morrison (1956 -)
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Cairns, getting wild up there;

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 0727e23dca
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

There are nongs about.

Some have charge of dirty great vehicles, and some have only their frail, mortal bodies and a couple of tiny wheels.

Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:12 pmThere are nongs about.

Some have charge of dirty great vehicles, and some have only their frail, mortal bodies and a couple of tiny wheels.
I watched that cavalcade of mayhem in three sessions to better absorb the surfeit of super smashes. Don't be a nong is the main lesson. The trickier bit is to constantly be on the alert for every other driver in your path to switch to nong mode with no notice whatsoever.

Also, I always enjoy seeing familiar scenery and hearing the endearing tone of our lovely Australian swearing.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

It's a bumper season for nongs.

Perhaps the rain and warmth are helping?

Prove me wrong.
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

On the right, at the beginning of this video, I was a little perturbed by the young child's eagerness to cross the road (best observed on a computer screen rather than a mobile device).

I'm not keen on people doing the "I'll walk to middle of the road while you're approaching and wait 'til you pass" thing. I'd rather that they wait until both lanes are clear before starting to cross (as is my wont).

At the time, I was thinking that they were obliged to use the nearby pedestrian crossing, but Google Maps informs me that it was 30 m away, so they weren't in contravention of road rules (if you're within 20 m of a pedestrian crossing, you must use it).

Further down the road we have someone stopping in a NO STOPPING zone, and around a metre from the kerb!

NO STOPPING means exactly what it says! In this case it's there because of the proximity to the roundabout, which is painted, rather than having a physical deterrent, which means that most people drive straight through the intersection, to save a second or two, rather than observe the line markings.

Have I ever told you that people shit me!

David Morrison (1956 -)
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Duck season? Nah.

Rabbit season? Also nah.

It's...
Nong season.

Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:05 pm Duck season? Nah.

Rabbit season? Also nah.

It's...
Nong season.

Menaced by a huge truck.... reminds me of the early Spielberg movie "Duel".
I can feel it