What shows are you currently watching?

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
Irrev-Black

Re: What shows are you currently watching?

Post by Irrev-Black »

(No spoilers, Sweetie.)

Doc Hooey Special, 2023, number 3.

Nice ending.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

We just started with Lessons In Chemistry - so far, loving a strong feminist drama set in the 1950's.

Funny, too.

Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Of course I can't watch it till it's made, but Martha Wells' Murderbot is becoming a TV series.

I have at least a good reason to survive till then.
Another day, another sci-fi announcement from Apple TV Plus. The streamer is continuing to expand its presence in the genre with the news that it’s adapting The Murderbot Diaries novels from author Martha Wells.

There’s no word yet on when the show will premiere, but it’ll be a 10-episode-long series and feature Alexander Skarsgård as the lead. Chris and Paul Weitz will serve as showrunners, while David S. Goyer — who helms the Apple TV Plus adaptation of Isaac Asimov’s Foundation — will be one of the executive producers.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/14/240 ... -skarsgard
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

For educational purposes I am sampling some of the anime series rated as the best of all time, which I've never watched. I'm starting with Neon Genesis Evangelion. Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are also on the list. I probably won't get through all of them, I usually lose interest, but it's good to sample them. The Japanese come up with the wildest ideas for screen based SF&F.
I can feel it
wolty

Post by wolty »

I'm super enjoying Slow Horses season 3.

While I was waiting for the next episode to be available we started watching the second season of Dark Winds. It's really good as well.

But. Dark Winds will take a back seat now. I've got the next episode of Slow Horses and also have Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... rn-ireland
wolty

Post by wolty »

I'm seriously intrigued by this as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -no-4-beef
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

wolty wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:27 pm I'm super enjoying Slow Horses season 3.

While I was waiting for the next episode to be available we started watching the second season of Dark Winds. It's really good as well.
We were so taken by Dark Winds that we watched this 3-parter documentary series when it came by: Navajo Police: Class 57.

There's challenges, but there's dignity.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:46 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:18 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:20 am Anyone else found themselves watching a series simply because they cannot believe how bad it is?

It's the only explanation I can offer for us viewing a second episode of NCIS Sydney, and I am firmly convinced one of us will use the veto card if we start a third.
Okay, I have to confess episode 3 was almost up to main series NCIS back in the later days of Mark Harmon's tenure. Not brilliant, but better than the first two.

"Not top-notch, but not awful" is Herself's verdict.
By episode 5, the show's up to a good middle-ranker, to be treated as a sitcom with attached crime.
Episode 7 was designed, I am sure, to infuriate anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of the science surrounding combustion.

Unless I am very much mistaken, when you're in a sealed bunker, in which people breathing means the oxygen's running out, finding and opening a (comparatively narrow) chimney leading to the outside will not "suck all the remaining oxygen out of here". My best guess was "this won't do much, especially for those far from the chimney".

The bit where they try to make a bomb out of 50-year-old bagged flour, by leaving it in a lump, but putting a gunpowder charge in the middle, beggars belief too. You need lots of air-suspended flour particles before ignition, if you want kabooms.

Still, it works as a comedy.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Has anyone else already recommended this British comedy about a family of religious nutters? I'm going to have a look tonight.

I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 am Has anyone else already recommended this British comedy about a family of religious nutters? I'm going to have a look tonight.

Yes, I got into Everyone Else Burns, or whatever its name is, back in the days of The Old Place.

A bit stilted, but very funny.
Prove me wrong.