Joe Biden

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
stevebrooks

Re: Joe Biden

Post by stevebrooks »

stylofone wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:54 am I thought Biden was too old in 2020. He's worse now. Imagine how he'll be in 2028.
Doesn't matter at all what he will be like in 2028, if Biden wins the entirety of the following 4 years should be spent by the Dem's looking for a viable candidate because I don't think they currently have one who will be accepted. Biden is a null factor in 2028 because he will have had his 2 terms and can't run again. The only candidate I have seen suggested to seriously replace Biden is Michigan Governor Whitman Gretchen, do you think America is ready for a female President? Will they accept a female President?

The biggest problem in this entire debacle is in fact the media, and Trump may be right in that they are the enemy of the people, oh but not in the way he means, they simply don't have the good of the people in mind, it's about numbers to them and nothing more. Every minor misstep Biden makes is hugely inflated and appears on the front page of every major media site, major blunders by Trump are glossed over and quickly forgotten, because they no longer make the news or attract readers, I mean they hardly bother fact checking him anymore, fact is nearly every single thing Trump said during the debate was a lie, yet all we hear about is Biden being a bit under the weather, a bit slower than he normally is. Blunders by Trump have been so common and so regular they simply aren't news anymore, they aren't worth reporting because everyone know he makes them, blunders by Biden, well yes they are news because he is President.

How this will play out in the end who knows, but it will be bad news if Trump wins.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

joele wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:51 pm To be fair on the democrats though, what other options are there? Do they have anyone they can put up at this point who will actually gain more votes than Biden?
It's an impossible question and a big gamble either way. However, to gamble on Gavin Newsom, for example, if he won it would make a four year term easy enough whereas if Biden wins it'll be four years of aged care management.

I reckon its got to be worth a gamble.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

pipbarber wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:38 pmwhereas if Biden wins it'll be four years of aged care management.
And that's not a problem if you have competent people in place, but if Trump wins you have the same problem, and we know who will be running the country if he isn't capable!
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

The question isn't whether Biden is preferable to Trump, obviously that's the case. The question is can Biden attract enough votes to beat Trump. And secondly, what the next four years look like because the maga crowd aren't going to just magically disappear if Trump loses.

I just think Biden is a disaster. But of course i'd vote for him if i could.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:34 pm The question isn't whether Biden is preferable to Trump, obviously that's the case. The question is can Biden attract enough votes to beat Trump. And secondly, what the next four years look like because the maga crowd aren't going to just magically disappear if Trump loses.

I just think Biden is a disaster. But of course i'd vote for him if i could.
My speculation is that the age issue is now burning, and it will be clear within a matter of weeks whether it is going to die down as the Biden camp clearly think it will. But anything they do could make it worse. I think it very likely that there will be just one more flare-up, even a small one, and Biden will make an LBJ type speech and bow out. It might even be a matter of days.

My view is reinforced by things like this absolute gem from Wilcox. We 1960s kids loved Mr Magoo, maybe it doesn't have the same resonance for other generations.

MAgoo.jpeg
MAgoo.jpeg (125.84 KiB) Viewed 269 times
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

It seems curious that all the major media outlets are pushing Biden to depart and saying how he will lose due to a poor performance at a debate and yet they still pull in record funding;

https://imgur.com/gallery/half-from-new-doners-kCpb4Sc

But Donald Trump is clearly listed in the Epstein files as abusing and raping minors, degrading them and etc and no-one is calling for him to withdraw;

https://imgur.com/gallery/excuse-me-wha ... ck-2jkzE8F

I mean it's clear, they should both withdraw and let more capable people run (in Trump's case he should already be in prison for life according to the newly released Epstein papers), in fact they should never have run, but we know that no matter what Trump does the right will support him and I really do think it's to late for the Dem's to change, as I said earlier this is not Australian politics and anyone they put up would basically have to start from scratch campaigning against Trump's already well established position, I simply think it's far to late to change.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

stylofone wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:15 amMy speculation is that the age issue is now burning, and it will be clear within a matter of weeks whether it is going to die down as the Biden camp clearly think it will. But anything they do could make it worse. I think it very likely that there will be just one more flare-up, even a small one, and Biden will make an LBJ type speech and bow out. It might even be a matter of days.
Been reading up on this because I suspect it isn't a simple for the US as it is for AU, and indeed that's the case. If the Dem's change candidates at this stage it can lead to legal challenges from the Reps to whomever they put forward to take over, and with the Supreme Court the way it is at the moment that could very well end up in disaster with it being tied up in court for months in end and RFK Junior being the only allowable candidate. Even if Biden pulls out voluntarily it could be worse for the Dems than if he stays there.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

I guess i lean toward Biden being replaced, either by his own retirement or by other means, because i'm doubtful he'll win the election. It's a huge risk to keep him but an equally huge risk to replace him. The only way to reduce that risk is for him to genuinely grasp that he is not up to another four years in office and to pull out of the election for health reasons, but he doesn't seem to be heading in that direction, so yeah, we're probably stuck with him and it is a disaster already. We've got four months to go and the vast majority of electoral discussion will now be Biden's failing cognitive abilities - rather than Trump's criminality and idiocy.

But how the fuck did this happen? They've had four years to plan this. Did they think Trump would just disappear? Go to jail? The maga movement was based on nothing? I'm tempted to conclude that electoral politics in the US doesn't exactly attract the best and brightest people.

Obama's role in this is mentioned in this article. Lazy Dems.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -democrats
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

People who know basically say replace Biden is a guaranteed loss;

stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Apparently according to recent polls there's only one Democrat who can beat Trump, Michelle Obama!