Electric + Human-Powered Vehicles

All things technology oriented.
joele
Site Admin

Re: Electric + Human-Powered Vehicles

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:09 pmI like the idea of debadging but I've never bothered to do it.
It does make the car look a lot cleaner.

I have no motivation to advertise for them (the byd frame around the plate in the photo is now gone too).

debadge.jpg
debadge.jpg (231.94 KiB) Viewed 769 times
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I find the prospect of the collapse of the ICE vehicle and fuel industries and the closure of petrol stations etc as outlined by stevebrooks to be very appealing, we are living in exciting times. Charging infrastructure is a big job, but it's actually easy to do, we already have an electricity grid. Any business with an appropriate parking space could set one up.

By contrast the ICEholes joele describes are slightly disturbing because I imagine the potential for violence that could arise in these situations. Being irrationally opposed to EVs suggests a psychological susceptibility other forms of arseholery. Enforcement of parking regulations really needs to be tightened to reduce the chance of conflict. If it's not, then surely the ICEholes might face a growing risk of seeing their cars vandalised in increasingly expensive ways.
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:49 amEnforcement of parking regulations really needs to be tightened to reduce the chance of conflict. If it's not, then surely the ICEholes might face a growing risk of seeing their cars vandalised in increasingly expensive ways.
The law is slowly catching up, in four states they have introduced fines for ICE vehicles parked in EV spaces, just taken a while for the law to catch up..

In those states people are encouraged to use "Snap, Send, Solve" where you send councils photos of the perpetrators vehicles and the councils issue fines.
The fines, some of them added to road rules late last year, range from $3,200 in the Australian Capital Territory to $369 in Victoria.

But experts say the heavy penalties are important to encourage electric vehicle adoption and prevent drivers doing the equivalent of parking "in front of a fuel bowser".
And for the EV Holes
But the penalties also apply to electric car drivers who occupy the parking spots while not actually recharging their vehicles.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-15/ ... /102102554

https://www.snapsendsolve.com/
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

joele wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:43 am
stylofone wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:49 amEnforcement of parking regulations really needs to be tightened to reduce the chance of conflict. If it's not, then surely the ICEholes might face a growing risk of seeing their cars vandalised in increasingly expensive ways.
The law is slowly catching up, in four states they have introduced fines for ICE vehicles parked in EV spaces, just taken a while for the law to catch up..

In those states people are encouraged to use "Snap, Send, Solve" where you send councils photos of the perpetrators vehicles and the councils issue fines.
The fines, some of them added to road rules late last year, range from $3,200 in the Australian Capital Territory to $369 in Victoria.

But experts say the heavy penalties are important to encourage electric vehicle adoption and prevent drivers doing the equivalent of parking "in front of a fuel bowser".
And for the EV Holes
But the penalties also apply to electric car drivers who occupy the parking spots while not actually recharging their vehicles.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-15/ ... /102102554

https://www.snapsendsolve.com/
Need an extra push on the laws, you see they only get a fine if they get reported and ticketed, and that's a slow way to teach people. Every charger needs a plate camera with a warning that if a car parks there and is not plugged in to the charging network the plate will be recorded and fine issued, that goes for both EV and ICE cars, people will start learning really fast. As for people parking across multiple bays just to piss of EV owners, signs with numbers for towing services and reward incentives for people phoning in cars parked illegally if the vehicle gets towed, reward only paid to the first caller. I mean even kids on bikes would be calling to report such behavior if they can see a reward sitting there. There would be tow trucks sitting down the road waiting for calls to tow cars and they would be there in minutes! Would be prime entertainment at the local charging station lol, watching people running out as their car gets hooked up.

That's one possibility anyway, people learn really fast when there's money involved, but you have to actually catch them.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

From a BYD Dolphin review:

Unlike the Tesla twins, however, the battery will not burst into flames if you happen to be involved in a prang. We know this because BYD kindly volunteered to fire nails into one of theirs to see what happened.

“During the Nail Penetration Test, the Blade Battery gave off no smoke or fire and the surface temperature only reached 30 to 60 degrees Celsius,” the BYD website reads.

“It also withstood other extreme test conditions, such as being crushed, bent, heated in an oven to 300 degrees Celsius and overloaded by 260 per cent. None of these resulted in a fire or explosion.”

I feel very warmly towards cars that won’t sprinkle pieces of me into heaven, so we’re off to a good start with the Dolphin.
https://the-riotact.com/the-100-questio ... est/720380
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:49 pm From a BYD Dolphin review

Driven both those cars, the Dolphin is built much better, or at least feels that way.

One of my team at work was set on the MG and hated BYD (but never driven one, just the name turned him off).. I convinced him to test drive the dolphin and then judge it.. He ordered it last week.

BYD, where's my commission? hmmmm ;-)

joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

I do also like the twits in the comments sections of these articles who don't understand the different Lithium battery technologies but want to act like they know everything.

It is a big problem, I have had to send reading material to multiple people at work who just though "Lithium is Lithium" and don't understand the rather important differences between the different chemistries on offer..

stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

joele wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:21 pm I do also like the twits in the comments sections of these articles who don't understand the different Lithium battery technologies but want to act like they know everything.

It is a big problem, I have had to send reading material to multiple people at work who just though "Lithium is Lithium" and don't understand the rather important differences between the different chemistries on offer..
Sometimes you need an example, for instance ask them about Sodium, a metal that explodes on contact with water, and chlorine, a corrosive gas that can destroy your lungs and if they would ever consume either, and when they say no point out to them they eat it every day combined in the form of common salt. Chemistry, it isn't magic but it sometimes works like magic, funny that!
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

joele wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:04 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:49 pm From a BYD Dolphin review

Driven both those cars, the Dolphin is built much better, or at least feels that way.

One of my team at work was set on the MG and hated BYD (but never driven one, just the name turned him off).. I convinced him to test drive the dolphin and then judge it.. He ordered it last week.

BYD, where's my commission? hmmmm ;-)
I'm pretty sure I saw a BYD Dolphin on go the other way on my drive back from Geraldton the other week, that was somewhere midway between Geraldton and Carnarvon so they are certainly getting around.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Ah Toyota and Hydrogen Power, still pushing for it, but I don't see it going anywhere, battery tech is advancing rapidly, and even Toyota has it's own battery powered cars coming soon. There are range problems, this van can't travel more than 200kms without refueling, which means a hydrogen station refueling, and hydrogen is difficult to transport and store, there are no, I mean literally zero refueling stations outside the experimental ones for this tech. So it has all the problems of early EV's, low range, limited charging stations and etc, with none of the advantages of ICE. They would have to start from scratch and build out refueling stops whereas EV stops are already spreading, slower than they should, but at least they are spreading.

I could possibly see an argument for hydrogen powered fleet vehicles limited to a major metro area with refueling at the main depot, but no apart from that, I very much suspect hydrogen is a lost cause now.
The world’s biggest carmaker has been slow to act on battery-powered electric vehicles but its latest vehicle could leapfrog the competition.
Leapfrog? Let me post a quite from the article;
There are compromises and inefficiencies with an internal combustion engine running on hydrogen, though, as most of the energy created is lost in heat rather than being used to move the car. Burning hydrogen also emits poisonous nitrogen oxides (NOx).

The prototype only makes 120kW of power – less than a Corolla – and can drive less than 200km between top-ups, issues the company says would be addressed if the hydrogen HiAce were to progress to production.

Toyota says the biggest advantage of adapting hydrogen tech to an existing engine is the relative affordability compared with the tech required for battery electric vehicles (BEVs).

While Toyota is years behind on EVs, it led the way on popularising hybrid technology, which is much more affordable.
And;
The vehicle could pave the way for four-wheel drives such as the LandCruiser to eventually power through the outback with a near-zero carbon footprint, with an internal combustion engine under the bonnet.
If that's a "leapfrog" I'll be a monkey's uncle, and I can't see anyone relying on hydrogen power in the outback with limited refueling, with of course one of the major problems being, you can't just fill a jerrycan up with hydrogen, it requires being cooled to liquid temperatures for transport and use. That's a big nope, have none of these people actually been traveling in the outback? One of the BIG advantages of ICE vehicles over electric and hydrogen is the ease of transporting and transferring fuel from container to vehicle and also vehicle to vehicle. Any idiot can fill a jerrycan up and take it out to save a mate in trouble, try that with hydrogen!

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 2fdf85c272