Israel

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
joele
Site Admin

Re: Israel

Post by joele »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:54 pm Just quietly, I'm an anarchist, and ultimately would approve a no-state solution, everywhere.
Me too, for the record, but that is an ideal, not a reality in this world, any time soon anyway.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

joele wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:56 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:54 pm Just quietly, I'm an anarchist, and ultimately would approve a no-state solution, everywhere.
Me too, for the record, but that is an ideal, not a reality in this world, any time soon anyway.
I wish I could bottle whatever these folk are doing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-29/ ... /103529398
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

Yeah I have heard of them a number of times before, wonderful school/community with huge promise...

Reminds me of a sad story though about Roger Waters, he actually played in that community pre covid, he talked about peace at the end and repeatedly tells people that even that community rejected him for talking of peace. Of course audio of the concert shows he is a bigoted bullshit artist (the opposite actually happened, i.e. raucous cheers) but it seems to him even that promising community needed to be lied about and demonised in the name of something..

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/roger-w ... its-a-lie/
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I understand the impulse to stay silent, the discussion is often so toxic and divisive. I still don't know what to say, but I appreciated this piece of writing..

https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-eas ... 5f9ex.html
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:49 pm I understand the impulse to stay silent, the discussion is often so toxic and divisive. I still don't know what to say, but I appreciated this piece of writing..
It is hard too as I can see so many lies/half-truths by supporters/reporters for both "sides" it is hard to know what to believe about any particular event.

joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

I just ran across the Australian White Rose Society responded to the "Jew List" that has been so publicly pushed by people like Clementine Ford.
Over the past few weeks, the significance of the Jewish Creatives WhatsApp leak has been massively overstated with each retelling until finally, we arrive at the Z600! 600 Zionists working around the clock with Israeli intelligence to attack Palestinian solidarity.
The bulk of the membership of the chat barely contributed. The membership included many, many people who were added without being asked and several non-Zionists and anti-Zionists.
Ginger Gorman has been particularly singled out because her brief presence in the chat supposedly clashes with her public support of Antoinette Lattouf. Her 15 soporific posts over eight weeks turn into her being ”very active”. Never mind that she’s not actually a Zionist.
There were a handful of people in the WhatsApp whose activity is worthy of scrutiny. The bulk of what was happening was organising a petition, posting cringe and processing trauma. The clout chasers who have published it in its entirety have not done the minimum due diligence.
Just because Zionists have attempted to rob Antisemitism of meaning by flattening it, doesn’t mean your anti-Zionist action can’t also be Antisemitic.
If, in the course of your activism, you find yourself compiling spreadsheets of Jewish people or sticking Stars of David on Jewish businesses, perhaps stop and reflect on whether this action does anything at all to help Palestinians. And maybe read a history book.

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:02 pm I just ran across the Australian White Rose Society responded to the "Jew List" that has been so publicly pushed by people like Clementine Ford.
Over the past few weeks, the significance of the Jewish Creatives WhatsApp leak has been massively overstated with each retelling until finally, we arrive at the Z600! 600 Zionists working around the clock with Israeli intelligence to attack Palestinian solidarity.
The bulk of the membership of the chat barely contributed. The membership included many, many people who were added without being asked and several non-Zionists and anti-Zionists.
Ginger Gorman has been particularly singled out because her brief presence in the chat supposedly clashes with her public support of Antoinette Lattouf. Her 15 soporific posts over eight weeks turn into her being ”very active”. Never mind that she’s not actually a Zionist.
There were a handful of people in the WhatsApp whose activity is worthy of scrutiny. The bulk of what was happening was organising a petition, posting cringe and processing trauma. The clout chasers who have published it in its entirety have not done the minimum due diligence.
Just because Zionists have attempted to rob Antisemitism of meaning by flattening it, doesn’t mean your anti-Zionist action can’t also be Antisemitic.
If, in the course of your activism, you find yourself compiling spreadsheets of Jewish people or sticking Stars of David on Jewish businesses, perhaps stop and reflect on whether this action does anything at all to help Palestinians. And maybe read a history book.
How hard can it be to support Palestinian human rights, civilians/children/doctors etc., without slipping into vile Anti-Semitic mode? How hard can it be to condemn Hamas terrorism and brutality without endorsing hardline Israeli/settler/extremist violence?

Actually I know there is a sort of streetfighting online activist/keyboard warrior mode, where you never apologise, you stay at your own pole and accept no nuance. You can fall into traps when you are in that world.

It would be nice to see someone like Clementine Ford climb out of that pit and maybe say sorry. Not sure how likely that is.
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:25 pmHow hard can it be to support Palestinian human rights, civilians/children/doctors etc., without slipping into vile Anti-Semitic mode? How hard can it be to condemn Hamas terrorism and brutality without endorsing hardline Israeli/settler/extremist violence?
Pretty hard it seems, though to be fair this growing tribalism and lack of nuance is far bigger than this one topic.
stylofone wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:25 pmIt would be nice to see someone like Clementine Ford climb out of that pit and maybe say sorry. Not sure how likely that is.
I hope so, I do otherwise respect her, but seeing her post and then repost (when it was taken down) these doxing lists really bothers me.

Maybe even more disturbing was "the conversation" running an opinion article defending the doxing, so is this just main stream behaviour now?

I get it, doxing neo nazis that march down the street intimidating the public may be in the public interest but as white rose said, most of this 600 didn't do anything like that, and don't deserve to be doxxed.

joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

Looks like anger at Bibi is growing, 100,000 turn out to protest and demand his resignation. This article is from the start of it but apparently they have been camping out for 4 days so far.
The main achievement of the protest was in the number of demonstrators. The protest against the judicial overhaul began with a few hundred; Sunday’s protest against Netanyahu drew 100,000 people, according to the organizers. No wonder Netanyahu is stressed.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem ... f-the-war/

Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Well, folks, it's been nice knowing you all.
Jerusalem: Iran has begun an unprecedented attack on Israel, sending a reported 100 drones and cruise missiles at Israeli targets on Sunday, an attack that may trigger a major escalation between the regional archenemies.

The Israeli military, the White House and Iranian state media have confirmed an attack was under way. The US pledged to back Israel.

Two security sources in Iraq said dozens of drones had been spotted flying from Iran towards Israel over Iraqi airspace in what Iranian Press TV called “extensive drone strikes” by the Revolutionary Guards.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 5fjme.html
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.