People shit me!

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
Irrev-Black

Re: People shit me!

Post by Irrev-Black »

Fuck me dead - a company putting a lander on the moon can't set up decent audio for live throws to Guest Talking Head without line hum and huge levels of low frequency audio rumble.

Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Why, for the sake of actual fuck, does Star Track, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Australia Post, NOT deliver to PO Boxes?

We've been tethered to the house for two whole day now, and will have to at least begin a third day, because we are waiting for a package.
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:14 pm Why, for the sake of actual fuck, does Star Track, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Australia Post, NOT deliver to PO Boxes?

We've been tethered to the house for two whole day now, and will have to at least begin a third day, because we are waiting for a package.
Well we get them delivered to our P.O. boxes, oh wait, you see we only have P.O. Boxes, there is no actual AP street or parcel delivery service in Exmouth, houses don't even have post boxes so there's no point in putting on the street address, it simply won't get delivered. My last delivery was a Battle Bull Combat X gaming chair and Samsung G5 27 inch curved gaming monitor, do you have any idea how much they weight? Straight to P.O. Box, picked them up at the back door of the Post Office, was quite a struggle getting them both in the i30 at once I can tell you!

Mind you the really irritating ones are the ones who parse the address form and reject any attempts to put a P.O. Box in. Usually if they won't take a P.O. Box in the primary field you can stick it in after the address on another line, but some actually seem to parse it and will reject your P.O. Box no matter where you try and squeeze it in. Had a few conversations with these people along the lines of, me; "why can't I put a P.O. Box number in?" Reply; "all our deliveries get sent bu Australia post and we require the street address." Me; "we don't have street deliveries." Them; "don't be silly everyone has street deliveries...." etc.

So it appears it's not a fact they can't deliver to a P.O. Box, they simply don't want to......unless forced to! Of course it maybe a state thing as well, different states, different branches, different rules maybe?
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stevebrooks wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:48 pm (SNIP)
Mind you the really irritating ones are the ones who parse the address form and reject any attempts to put a P.O. Box in. Usually if they won't take a P.O. Box in the primary field you can stick it in after the address on another line, but some actually seem to parse it and will reject your P.O. Box no matter where you try and squeeze it in. Had a few conversations with these people along the lines of, me; "why can't I put a P.O. Box number in?" Reply; "all our deliveries get sent bu Australia post and we require the street address." Me; "we don't have street deliveries." Them; "don't be silly everyone has street deliveries...." etc.

So it appears it's not a fact they can't deliver to a P.O. Box, they simply don't want to......unless forced to! Of course it maybe a state thing as well, different states, different branches, different rules maybe?
We used AusPost's "Parcel Locker" extra on top of the PO Box, for one year. Even when "PO Box 666, Lower Toontown Heights" was mysteriously able to be known as "Suite 666, Shopfront A3, <street address of PO>", some services just WOULD NOT deliver there.
2022-01-28-IMG_5125-parcel.JPG
2022-01-28-IMG_5125-parcel.JPG (59.35 KiB) Viewed 679 times
parcel1.JPG
parcel1.JPG (66.88 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Some days it's hardly worth the effort of biting through the leather straps.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Aftermath of the Star Track Saga...

No ETA call was received, despite being promised in response to yesterday's chase-up call.

Package arrived at 1230 with no warning. At least everything worked.

Well, mostly. Beware of USB WiFi dongles, because there's now a nasty tendency for them to be Windows-only.

Not only have we paid for a useless article, but I also have an "advertised as Linux-compatible, but it ain't" one to take back to Jaycar.

In frustration, I went to the parts bin. Oh, guess what! Old-but-functional USB WiFi thingy, happy to play nice with the Penguin.

Of course the effing thing wouldn't make itself apparent till I'd rooted round the shed for a 10M CAT6 lead.

And...

I have another delivery due from the same vendor in a couple of days.

Pass the valium.
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

In the category of people shit me this one has to be about the worst I have seen, it's a video about ten minutes but you can skip to nearly the end, it smacks of sovcit entitlement, a precis; entitled neighbour takes person to court to demand her wifi password. If I had been the neighbor he might have spent a few evenings in hospital and I might have been charged with assault, bit it would have been fucking worth it! Oh yes, I would also have counter sued for half the cost of the wifi for the previous 2 years!

Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stevebrooks wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 pm In the category of people shit me this one has to be about the worst I have seen, it's a video about ten minutes but you can skip to nearly the end, it smacks of sovcit entitlement, a precis; entitled neighbour takes person to court to demand her wifi password. If I had been the neighbor he might have spent a few evenings in hospital and I might have been charged with assault, bit it would have been fucking worth it! Oh yes, I would also have counter sued for half the cost of the wifi for the previous 2 years!

Such things there are, that could happen!

https://pete.ex-parrot.com/upside-down-ternet.html

or...
First and foremost, Tom got Chloe set up with a different internet service provider. He also purchased her a professional-grade WiFi router. Not that her original WiFi router wasn’t fine for everything she needed it for. Tom figured if someone had successfully gained access to her WiFi network, it could happen in the future.

Then Tom set up Chloe with an extremely secure hidden WiFi network. It didn’t just appear when someone was searching for a network to join. It had to be manually typed into each device.

Next, Tom set up a second WiFi network that was identical to Chloe’s previous network. It had the same exact name and password. The person would probably just think, “Oh, that’s weird, I got kicked off their network,” then rejoin.

Tom drastically throttled down the speed of the second WiFi network. This made it very inconvenient for the person to use. Not that it would dissuade them from whatever nefarious activity they were trying on Chloe’s WiFi network.

Unfortunately for the leecher, Tom didn’t stop there. He decided to install some Domain Name System overrides onto the second WiFi network. “DNS is a service on the internet which translates names into IP addresses. Which is what your computer needs to connect to something.” In basic terms, your computer uses the IP address assigned to a website rather than only the name of a specific website.

This leecher had messed with the wrong WiFi Network. Tom had studied the logs to see which websites the leecher visited the most and realized he could really do some damage with the Domain Name System.
https://www.minq.com/social/boyfriend-g ... ends-wifi/
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:15 pm Aftermath of the Star Track Saga...

No ETA call was received, despite being promised in response to yesterday's chase-up call.

Package arrived at 1230 with no warning. At least everything worked.

Well, mostly. Beware of USB WiFi dongles, because there's now a nasty tendency for them to be Windows-only.

Not only have we paid for a useless article, but I also have an "advertised as Linux-compatible, but it ain't" one to take back to Jaycar.

In frustration, I went to the parts bin. Oh, guess what! Old-but-functional USB WiFi thingy, happy to play nice with the Penguin.

Of course the effing thing wouldn't make itself apparent till I'd rooted round the shed for a 10M CAT6 lead.

And...

I have another delivery due from the same vendor in a couple of days.

Pass the valium.
The following package arrived, without drama, this morning.

Jaycar acknowledged their error and refunded the USB Wireless NotWork device.

And I eventually got around my first USB/UEFI/Laptop/Rapacious-Frigging-Windows11-Pre-Install setup. Nerves now quite frazzled, and I shall spend a few minutes lying down, cursing anything Microsnot-related.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:08 pmThe following package arrived, without drama, this morning.

Jaycar acknowledged their error and refunded the USB Wireless NotWork device.
Fortunately there's a Jaycar reseller near me so I can avoid delivery hassles. I grabbed a 12 volt plug there this morning to further enhance my flood mitigation setup (aka bilge pump and hoses to remove water which gets trapped under the house.) The rain event is taking its time heading south. If it's not as bad as forecast it will still have served a purpose, motivating me to improve my setup.

Other mail order temptations are resisted because it can always wait until I go to a big retailer in Canberra.
I can feel it
two dogs

Post by two dogs »

I’m currently staying in Carnarvon Gorge, in the Carnarvon National Park. Yesterday morning, I walked to The Big Bend and back (a 21 km return trip). It’s a relatively flat track, in terms of elevation change, but with a shitload (20) of creek crossings (that’s just in one direction), so it takes a little commitment to get there.

There’s a small camping area there, and toilets, as it’s a staging point for serious bushwalkers undertaking the multi-day Great Carnarvon Walk.

I was appalled when I read this sign in one of the two cubicles:

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)