Climate Change

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
stylofone

Re: Climate Change

Post by stylofone »

The monthly update is "yup, still fucked". Mainstream climate science still seems to think we can stave off disaster with the energy transition: a solar panel here, an EV there. It doesn't look that way to me. Here we have one of those scientists saying if the runaway warming doesn't slow down in August, then the transition optimists, the true believers in 1.5, will have to have a rethink.
“If the anomaly does not stabilise by August – a reasonable expectation based on previous El Niño events – then the world will be in uncharted territory. It could imply that a warming planet is already fundamentally altering how the climate system operates, much sooner than scientists had anticipated.”
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2024 ... scientists
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Also, check out the sea surface temp for April. It's already a record high, and still going up at a time when it usually goes down. (source)

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12-21-16 Climate Reanalyzer.png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12-21-16 Climate Reanalyzer.png (243.71 KiB) Viewed 723 times
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:10 pm The monthly update is "yup, still fucked". Mainstream climate science still seems to think we can stave off disaster with the energy transition: a solar panel here, an EV there. It doesn't look that way to me. Here we have one of those scientists saying if the runaway warming doesn't slow down in August, then the transition optimists, the true believers in 1.5, will have to have a rethink.
“If the anomaly does not stabilise by August – a reasonable expectation based on previous El Niño events – then the world will be in uncharted territory. It could imply that a warming planet is already fundamentally altering how the climate system operates, much sooner than scientists had anticipated.”
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2024 ... scientists
'...much sooner than scientists had anticipated...' is becoming an almost cliched throw out line that fills the required line space. I suspect there are probably many hundreds of climate scientists who did actually predict what we are seeing, they'd be the ones wearing an 'alarmist' label around their necks. So, 'much sooner than scientists anticipated...' should really read, 'much sooner than some scientists anticipated.'

But hey! we all might get an affordable electric car by 2032! So relax and keep working. (I hope it has air-conditioning).
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Bogota, Colombia. Cities are going dry. Some will eventually need to be abandoned or drastically depopulated, surely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68795071
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

You know what annoys me, you know what annoys the shit out of me. All these news reports and articles telling us how expensive it is going to be to get to carbon neutral by 2050, it's going to cost us a huge amount in 27 years. I mean arguably that's far later than we should be aiming for anyway, but what annoys me about these reports and articles? They are put out by people who knew climate change was going to be a problem and did nothing.

Lets take Dutton, he now has a huge expensive plan for nuclear, the only way to do it he says, going to cost us a fortune, we better get on to it right away, it going to take sacrifice from all you, umm, people who were born after it was to late to do anything! Umm, then why didn't we start 30 years ago? I'll tell you why, because of idiots like you, morons who denied and denied and denied, not because of any ideological position though, I completely reject this. It's like the old joke about what if we are all wrong about climate change and spend all this money and time to make the world a better place for nothing!

No I reject all that, it was all about money, they didn't want to sacrifice anything, they wanted to keep their cosy lifestyles and not sacrifice anything for the good of future generations, until suddenly it's to late. Fucking Morrison with his lump of coal in parliament, raised the LNP IQ by about ten points that day! Scientists have warned about climate change since the 50's, but now you, the ones directly affected, have to make all the sacrifices because we wanted to live off the highs of the fossil fuel economy! Now they tell people they will have to sacrifice, people who weren't even alive when we should have started doing something about climate change, they have to sacrifice. Fucking idiots.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stevebrooks wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:58 pm
(SNIP)

Lets take Dutton, he now has a huge expensive plan for nuclear, the only way to do it he says, going to cost us a fortune, we better get on to it right away, it going to take sacrifice from all you, umm, people who were born after it was to late to do anything! Umm, then why didn't we start 30 years ago?
Why didn't the LNP start during the nine years it was in power?

For my couple of small-denom trade tokens, it's not actually about being pro-nuke, but about stopping things like free sunshine, wind, and tides from replacing stuff that has to be dug up, and is controlled by donors who give Dut's lot money.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:13 pm
stevebrooks wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:58 pm
(SNIP)

Lets take Dutton, he now has a huge expensive plan for nuclear, the only way to do it he says, going to cost us a fortune, we better get on to it right away, it going to take sacrifice from all you, umm, people who were born after it was to late to do anything! Umm, then why didn't we start 30 years ago?
Why didn't the LNP start during the nine years it was in power?

For my couple of small-denom trade tokens, it's not actually about being pro-nuke, but about stopping things like free sunshine, wind, and tides from replacing stuff that has to be dug up, and is controlled by donors who give Dut's lot money.
Most definitely this. Dutton will soon realise that certain aspects of the energy revolution which his mob dismissed as a fantasy, are about to manifest themselves as undeniable reality.

From my recent reading I've been contemplating economic and political tipping points. It's hard to perceive this because of all the shouting and anti-EV misinformation, but within a couple of years the old school car industry is likely to collapse. The scenario is that the big Japanese and American names will shrivel up to nothing, with the exception of Tesla. The US rust belt will expand even further, creating political instability. Can it get any Trumpier? China will be the world's car maker, to an even greater extent than Japan was from the 80s onwards. The petro-states will shrivel. The oil wars of the past will no longer have any finance. Russia will wilt. On a local level, renewables create the opportunity for the decentralisation of energy. It will be cheaper to be off grid for a growing number of houses. It's a nightmare for vested interests, billionaires, big business, the Liberal Party.

The reason for all this is that renewable electricity is cheaper and better and the fossil fuel industrial complex has lost the ability to hold it back.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:24 pm Bogota, Colombia. Cities are going dry. Some will eventually need to be abandoned or drastically depopulated, surely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68795071
Dry up the aquifers under your city, and you'll get that sinking feeling.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment ... -problems/
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Who farted? Glencore did.

Bigly.

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/news/nat ... hane-plume
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm Who farted? Glencore did.

Bigly.

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/news/nat ... hane-plume
It will be interesting to see how much of this sort of thing is happening when MethaneSAT is fully operational. Under-reporting is a key part of net zero wishful thinking. No doubt they will keep on denying even with the new data. It looks like only mass death will finally shake governments into action.

https://www.methanesat.org/
I can feel it