Electric + Human-Powered Vehicles

All things technology oriented.
stevebrooks

Re: Electric + Human-Powered Vehicles

Post by stevebrooks »

Hmm, Hyundai Inster, sounds impressive;
Key for those considering the leap from petrol to an electric car, the Inster’s cabin feels altogether normal. Unlike many EVs – Teslas included – Hyundai’s kept proper buttons for climate and media, rather than sending everything through a giant screen’s mazes of menus.

It’s an unashamed city car aimed at young urbanites and cool retirees.
That's a big plus, older drivers not comfortable with touchscreen menu navigation will find that a very positive factor in making the choice of BEV or ICE, or Hybrid even.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... ea4fbaa853
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

We keep seeing doomist articles about how EV sales are dying and EV's are a failure, then we see these sorts of stories, it almost seems there is a small couterie of anti-EV die hards trying to kill EV adoption in Australia;
The tax perk supercharging EV sales

A discount intended to help sell electric cars has proved far more popular than the government expected.
Funny that, when you make EV's cost the same as ICE people go for EV's and see the benefit;
Several months after buying his Tesla Model 3 Performance, Jarrah Watson said having an EV had been “absolute game changer.”

“It’s zero maintenance, you basically never have to deal with a mechanic, and you’ve got the renewable energy aspect as well,” he said.
And that's a Tesla, probably one of the lowest quality production EV's out there. Should be interesting when this happens as well, a flood of second hand EV's hitting the market, if the battery lasts ten years you are still looking at 7 years before the battery might possible start becoming a problem, and for some reason many Australians rarely keep cars for that length of time, can't understand it myself, my current car is edging towards 17 years old and as long as it keeps running I see no reason to change it.
The success of the EV tax discount could flood the second-hand market with electric cars when the first tranche of three-year leases promoted by the program ends in July 2025.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 4fe777d465
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Found another reason why hydrogen fueled cars are probably a bad idea!

https://imgur.com/gallery/nasa-fire-det ... ds-1q9PUmh
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Toyota Hybrids selling like crazy!
The Toyota RAV4 has emerged as Australia’s best-selling vehicle for August with 6,712 units sold, outdoing Toyota HiLux and the Ford Ranger.

Despite an overall decline in new car deliveries, 8.3 per cent lower than August 2023, the Toyota RAV4 continued to dominate.

The mid-size SUV has now set a monthly sales record for the sixth consecutive time, with August being the first month the model has surpassed 6,000 sales.

What’s even more impressive is 95 per cent of sales were hybrids.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 39d8b254af
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Well, that's one car that won't be on my list, the new "Smart Car." I mean it's got all the goods, price and range etc, but in the video the presenter starts talking about the "avatar" on the touchscreen. I should point out the "gigantic" touch screen that sits right in the middle of your line of sight when checking for traffic coming from the left, I would pay money to have it removed if it were possible. Then he said it, "I love the avatar, it's like Clippy from Microsoft Word," and an entire generation of technophiles just turned around and swore never to buy that car!

But these fucking touchscreens, it's fucking Tesla's fault, they are all so unnecessary and intrusive for the driver, sure pout on in front of the passenger so they can watch video or play games, but keep it out of my line of sight while driving you morons!

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 37209b9cd2
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:30 am Well, that's one car that won't be on my list, the new "Smart Car." I mean it's got all the goods, price and range etc, but in the video the presenter starts talking about the "avatar" on the touchscreen. I should point out the "gigantic" touch screen that sits right in the middle of your line of sight when checking for traffic coming from the left, I would pay money to have it removed if it were possible. Then he said it, "I love the avatar, it's like Clippy from Microsoft Word," and an entire generation of technophiles just turned around and swore never to buy that car!

But these fucking touchscreens, it's fucking Tesla's fault, they are all so unnecessary and intrusive for the driver, sure pout on in front of the passenger so they can watch video or play games, but keep it out of my line of sight while driving you morons!

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 37209b9cd2
$57000 is enough to keep it off my list. Using the screens and their eye candy as a selling point is bizarre.
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Hmm, Nissan talking solid state batteries for the next gen utes in 2026;
Speaking with media at the debut of the new Nissan Patrol, Nissan chair for Africa, Middle East, India, Europe and Oceania Guillaume Cartier says the brand will roll out plug-in hybrid and electric power options for the next-gen Navara.

“I think it will be a two-step approach, first with a PHEV solution, then later on with EV,” he said.

“That will be the two-step approach. “That’s what we’re looking at, but first it will be with a diesel approach. “On the first one [PHEV] we are with Mitsubishi, but the next one [EV] we are looking at. Because there is also on technology we have in-house, which is solid state battery, but that will take time.”
Just hope they ditch the giant touch screens! I can't really see them as being much more than a fad really due to the newness and high tech of EV's. Tesla started it all, and what I think Tesla was doing was positioning Tesla's for full self driving full time so the need for easily accessible controls for the driver was not in their mind, they won't be driving so a touchscreen is fine. Full self driving, however, is a harder nut to crack than they thought. Other manufacturers have just followed on.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 3c0ba64cfb
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Well that's interesting, mind you EV's seem to be an ideal Uber vehicle anyway, so this doesn't seem that big of a problem, it almost seems inevitable. Cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, and if you have the right setup, free to fuel, what other market could it appeal to more? If you think this sounds like car manufacturers and governments coming together to manipulate markets, just have a read of my latest post in vehicle size creep. People aren't buying huge 4x4's like F150's in droves because they are better but because US car manufacturers got together and manipulated the market to make them cheaper to build.
Chinese electric vehicles are about to become a much more common sight on Australian roads. Carmaker BYD has cut a deal with Uber. And its contractor drivers won’t want to say no.

Analysts say the offer of cut-price vehicles and accessible financing – sweetened by dramatically cheaper EV running costs – is just one example of how China’s state-backed manufacturers are finding new ways to dominate the global electric vehicle market.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 759aea7529
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Oh look, an indestructible electric SUV...oops:

https://imgur.com/gallery/soooo-indestructible-NbOWTFZ
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Holy fuck, the cars from hell!!!
The car of the future will use in-vehicle cameras to see who is on board, then use that information to introduce carefully curated ads in partnership with big business.

Expect it to suggest a stop for happy meals after picking up the kids from school, and to capitalise on “pester power” to convince people to spend money on games, apps and digital customisation of new vehicles.

Ford made headlines recently when it took out a patent for in-car advertising that included the ability to eavesdrop on passengers and tailor content to their conversations.

Including the ability to “understand the user’s tolerance for a particular advertisement’s count”, or in other words, listen out for people saying things like “if I hear one more ad for this petrol company, I’ll buy 10 litres from their arch rival and use it to set this car on fire!”
Serve up one ad to me and it will be hammer time, suggesting stopping for a happy meal? What the fuck are they thinking?

I mean are they even thinking, I got my niece listening to Rammstein at 7 years old, you change my music to the wiggles that would be fucking madness, they can't possibly know tastes of individuals simply by how old they are, I mean just read some of the comments on Glory Hammers Hootsforce;
This is my 5-year-old daughter's favorite song right now. Every morning or whenever we're in the car, "Daddy I want Hootsforce please!" Thank you Gloryhammer, you have saved me from another half-decade of Frozen songs on repeat!

Are these people just stupid or what?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 5c1bbc75ea