Electric + Human-Powered Vehicles

All things technology oriented.
joele
Site Admin

Re: Electric + Human-Powered Vehicles

Post by joele »

stevebrooks wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:53 pm Hmm, maybe EV drivers should gang together and go around wrecking petrol stations.....oh sorry, most EV drivers aren't mad!
They did the next best that in Croatia, EVs parking in petrol stations and just leaving their car blocking the bowser.. lol.. probably not a good solution, but funny?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31422/now ... being-iced
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Fuel figures for some hybrids and ICE vehicles are lies.
“One 1.2-litre vehicle had similar on-road fuel consumption to several 2-litre cars, and a hybrid SUV had higher petrol consumption than a similar-sized conventional SUV,” said AAA’s managing director, Michael Bradley.

The Suzuki Swift 2023 recorded the highest discrepancy in fuel consumption, with the small car using 6.3 litres of fuel per 100km in the AAA’s real-world testing – 31% more than the lab-tested advertised rate of 4.8 litres.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... esting-aaa
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:50 pm Fuel figures for some hybrids and ICE vehicles are lies.
“One 1.2-litre vehicle had similar on-road fuel consumption to several 2-litre cars, and a hybrid SUV had higher petrol consumption than a similar-sized conventional SUV,” said AAA’s managing director, Michael Bradley.

The Suzuki Swift 2023 recorded the highest discrepancy in fuel consumption, with the small car using 6.3 litres of fuel per 100km in the AAA’s real-world testing – 31% more than the lab-tested advertised rate of 4.8 litres.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... esting-aaa
Shock result, carmakers lie about efficiency results to try and sell more cars. Well of course they do, because it isn't illegal, the point of a car maker is to sell more cars, and they will use any legal strategy to do so. Oh well, that's new car salespeople for you, one step above used car salespeople!
Wrenn

Post by Wrenn »

https://thedriven.io/2024/05/14/nearly- ... udy-finds/
A damning new report has shown that nearly all major car companies are actively sabotaging the world’s efforts to avoid catastrophic global warming. The lobbying strategies being used by the world’s largest automakers are putting global climate targets at risk and threatening the electric vehicle transition, according to the new report released by InfluenceMap.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

More complaints about the dropping prices of EV's. Do people simply not get this? As technology matures and becomes mainstream the price drops due to mass production and the development of cheaper materials and technological advances. It's like me complaining because back in late 1990's I paid over 5k for a computer that is now outperformed a hundred times over by my phone and is now worthless.
Jason C from the Sunshine Coast said he ordered a Model Y RWD for $60,900 plus on-roads.

Two weeks later he spotted a price drop of $5000 to $55,900 for the same deal.

“What’s going on?” he asked. “Elon and his company aren’t endearing themselves to customers. Resale’s going to be a nightmare when we sell it.”
Yes, Tesla's are expensive, EV cars coming out of Taiwan and China now undersell them for the same quality and performance so they have to price cut to keep competetive, by the time you are ready to sell your Tesla second hand people will be able to buy brand new cars for the price you are probably expecting if you base it on ICE car depreciation. EV depreciation is going to be higher more than ICE depreciation most likely up until the entire world is EV only. Do people not do research on EV costs and possible depreciation before they buy, or just assume it will be the same for EV's as it is for ICE?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 1c649fd5cd
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

stevebrooks wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:29 am More complaints about the dropping prices of EV's. Do people simply not get this? As technology matures and becomes mainstream the price drops due to mass production and the development of cheaper materials and technological advances. It's like me complaining because back in late 1990's I paid over 5k for a computer that is now outperformed a hundred times over by my phone and is now worthless.
Jason C from the Sunshine Coast said he ordered a Model Y RWD for $60,900 plus on-roads.

Two weeks later he spotted a price drop of $5000 to $55,900 for the same deal.

“What’s going on?” he asked. “Elon and his company aren’t endearing themselves to customers. Resale’s going to be a nightmare when we sell it.”
Yes, Tesla's are expensive, EV cars coming out of Taiwan and China now undersell them for the same quality and performance so they have to price cut to keep competetive, by the time you are ready to sell your Tesla second hand people will be able to buy brand new cars for the price you are probably expecting if you base it on ICE car depreciation. EV depreciation is going to be higher more than ICE depreciation most likely up until the entire world is EV only. Do people not do research on EV costs and possible depreciation before they buy, or just assume it will be the same for EV's as it is for ICE?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... 1c649fd5cd
And case in point, this is why the price of Tesla's is dropping;

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... c0494291b1

Tesla has relied on being one of the few suppliers of EV's in the mass market, as one of the few suppliers it could keep prices high and still sell well, but in fact most buyers of EV's aren't interested in the price category Tesla had, they are interested in buying an EV, with decent range and quality, and the moment one appears that severely undercuts Tesla prices most buyers will switch without a thought, because for most buyers it's about having an EV, NOT having a Tesla.

I would seriously consider one of these EV3's myself if I was to be in the market for a new car when they come out, but I would never consider a Tesla, now some of that may be bias because Musk is a big arsehole, but some of it is the Tesla interior is a very bad design, I don't need a car that can do ludicrous speed, and I have a limited amount of money, the the EV3 it would be if given the choice between the two. In fact the EV3 looks the better car of the two even if I did have unlimited money.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

https://kolektiva.social/@mhoye@mastodo ... 5872501060

Wow!
mhoye@mastodon.social
stufromoz@aus.social
mhoye @mhoye@mastodon.social

This is a remarkable graph.

You might have heard that "EV sales are slumping", "people are starting to avoid EVs", etc.

That's not what's happening.

What's happening is "Tesla is cratering so hard that it's skewing the aggregate market data."

Or, put differently, "Tesla is failing harder than the entire rest of the market is succeeding, combined."
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

And yet here we go again;
Manufacturers are now heavily discounting new vehicles in an effort to get them off the showroom floor.

A brand new Tesla Model Y is now $11,400 cheaper. The Peugeot e2008 has been given a massive cut from $63,000 to $39,990. On the lower end of the market, a GWM Ora is down 20 per cent to $35,990.

This is partially indicative of more competition naturally putting downward pressure on the market, which is generally a good thing for consumers.

But it’s not much good for someone who bought an EV a year ago, now watching the resale value of their car plummet overnight.
Do they simply not understand they were massively overpriced to begin with? Mass manufacturing entered the market with the Chinese entry as opposed to a few odd EV makers here and there, and once that happened the price was sure to drop. EV's are simpler to make than ICE cars, they have less moving parts, they need less servicing, in reality the only really expensive part is the battery and that will change as price drops.
Cars, like houses, are some of the biggest assets most people will ever own. And thus they are treated like investments – some vehicles hold their value better than others.
No, no they aren't like houses. The economic structure is entirely different and cars will eventually decrease to zero value as they get older, except of course for a few odd exceptional stand outs, but 99.9% of cars will be worth nothing eventually, the only value is scrap for the materials. There's a reason there is a housing market ladder and not a used car market ladder, because houses appreciate in value, they don't instantly lose 10% of their value as you take possession. This may rank as the stupidest comment on the EV market I have ever seen! Cars in general are not investments, they are money sinks.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/moto ... f692f137c5
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:57 amAnd yet here we go again;
The sheer weight of electric cars, thanks to their batteries, means tyres and brakes wear down much faster – pumping more pollution into the atmosphere than a normal car.
True for the tyres, but not the brakes. I've heard reports form owners that the regenerative braking means EV brake pads last longer. Also the worse tyre wear is also true for the sheer weight of the ever-growing ICE cars out there.
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

stylofone wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:46 pm
stevebrooks wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:57 amAnd yet here we go again;
The sheer weight of electric cars, thanks to their batteries, means tyres and brakes wear down much faster – pumping more pollution into the atmosphere than a normal car.
True for the tyres, but not the brakes. I've heard reports form owners that the regenerative braking means EV brake pads last longer. Also the worse tyre wear is also true for the sheer weight of the ever-growing ICE cars out there.
In fact due to technical considerations some EV's are going back to drum brakes on the rear axles where the electric motor drives the rear wheels. Apparently there is less friction with drum brakes when the brakes aren't actually being used, the braking advantage disks have over drums is largely negated due to regenerative braking being used, they are cheaper to service than disks, and finally they do away with the need to add a complicated electric hand brake system to EV's.

Never realised this though;
Disc brakes naturally drag the pad against the rotor, ever so slightly creating resistance which increases fuel consumption in most vehicles, or in the case of EVs, reduces their driving range.
The other advantage of drums on EV's over disks is the exposure to weather issue. With drum brakes being enclosed they tend to not degrade due to corrosion, for which disk brakes are known. Of course many ICE owners love their cars because of the big noise of the V8's, I can imagine this does not contribute to lower tire wear on many ICE vehicles, if you only compare good and safe drivers for each type of vehicle yes you may get that result that tires wear faster on EV's under certain use conditions, but the hoons own ICE vehicles!