Music Videos (and why you posted them)

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
stylofone

Re: Music Videos (and why you posted them)

Post by stylofone »

"Indie" or "alternative" or whatever you call it, is usually no different from mainstream genres. Maybe there are some arbitrary "rules" that the alleged radicals break, and people like me placed great importance on that in the 1980s. We treasured our outsider status.

I adore Colourbox, they had this particularly intense mix of both indie and mainstream. Lorita Graham is a superb singer, the Young brothers were bloody geniuses, renaissance men of pop. I am a fan forever.

From the comments (I stopped reading before I found one I disagreed with, only the true believers seem to be there):
Wow what an amazing archive find this is! Colourbox have never played live but here they are doing some (European? Location?) music event and miming a performance of this magnificent pop gem which would have been a massive hit if only the radio had played it. Their whole output has been exemplary and to this day remain hugely underrated (only M/A/R/R/S earned them some belated payback of course), but that first album and all the singles (and debut EP) they ever did are all pretty much essential. Been a massive fan ever since I first picked up that first album on tape in 1985, picking up everything on 7 and 12 inch vinyl and CD!
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Why? Shane MacGowen's funeral...a perfect send off.

'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:09 pm Why? Shane MacGowen's funeral...a perfect send off.

Genius. Resurrection myths can fuck off, THAT is the way to triumph over death.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Posted:
A) because I'm a bastard;
B) to share the suffering;
C) in the hope anybody whose tum is over-packed with seasonal lunch will be miraculously loosened (turn up the subwoofer).

Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:42 am Posted:
A) because I'm a bastard;
B) to share the suffering;
C) in the hope anybody whose tum is over-packed with seasonal lunch will be miraculously loosened (turn up the subwoofer).

It's a terrible waste of resources. I am reminded of the minimalist/avant garde artist Charlemagne Palestine, who uses what he call sonorities. His essential work is Strumming Music, where he belts the crap out of one or two Bossendorfers until the soundwaves from the piano strings start interacting with each other and they generate all sorts of strange, mesmerising harmonics. Sometimes you'd swear there's a whole bank of Moog and Buchla synths or a choir of Tibetan throat singers hidden inside the piano. Imagine what he could do with 895 tubas. His work also involved his trademark teddy bears. I think the drinking strong liquor and deranged vocal improvisations are also part of it. That's optional, the piano improvisations are his best work IMO.

I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Interesting timbres (crikey, I love the Moog bass, the Victrola-ish sound of the sample, and the deadpan vocal) and a fine lyrical theme.

Also, the person behind White Town is still active in many ways, and I follow them on Mastodon.

Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

For ages I've had a hipster mentality: if something is popular I stop liking it. The implication of this is that people will probably not like my music suggestions. Oh well, you all know how to ignore things, just don't click.

Having said that, here is one of the wonders of the modern world, the Pale Saints cover version of Kinky Love. Tonight for the first time I made the effort to listen to the original too. Not as good , but still remarkable.

I'll save for later the other nerdy deep dive, the Slowdive cover of Nancy and Lee's masterpiece Some Velvet Morning.
I can feel it
wolty

Post by wolty »

I've discovered Radio Birdman. I mean I'd heard of them before but.....fuck they're good!

Anyway. I've been looking around trying to get their discography on torrents with no luck. Wondering if anyone has any ideas about getting some of their stuff? I know Mr.B could possibly help me!!! ;)

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Working links (fairly sure anyway) to a best of and the two original albums...

https://disorderareyouexperienced.blogs ... -eyes.html
https://wdthtc.blogspot.com/2018/03/rad ... -1977.html
I can feel it
wolty

Post by wolty »

Thanks mate!!!!