Movies

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
stylofone

Re: Movies

Post by stylofone »

I thought "Civil War" was good. It's definitely not obvious in its approach, and it goes out of its way NOT to mirror current political divisions. Also, reality is actually more weird and dystopian than fiction at the moment, so it's hard to make a film like this. But I liked it.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:27 pm I thought "Civil War" was good. It's definitely not obvious in its approach, and it goes out of its way NOT to mirror current political divisions. Also, reality is actually more weird and dystopian than fiction at the moment, so it's hard to make a film like this. But I liked it.
I watched it last night. Yes, i thought it was engaging, beautifully produced and acted. The blurring of divisions between the opposing sides was clever too, at least on one level. I suspect though that maga people will enjoy the movie, it might even be inspiring, and that's a dismal thought. I'd have preferred the movie to have been just a little more closely reflecting the reality, i think.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
nibble

Post by nibble »

I recently watch Atlas (starring J-Lo). I went in with low expectations given the poor ratings. However I was pleasantly surprised. Worth a look if you're subscribed to Netflix and are looking for something to watch.
Spiral out ....
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

nibble wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:23 pm I recently watch Atlas (starring J-Lo). I went in with low expectations given the poor ratings. However I was pleasantly surprised. Worth a look if you're subscribed to Netflix and are looking for something to watch.
I enjoyed it, I might be a bit of a sucker for futuristic AI related plots though..
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Loki

Post by Loki »

The spouse watched it

I wandered off and played with my phone after 5 minutes

Very millenial

I.e. 95 percent of it was talking about their feelings
Loki

Post by Loki »

Mind you, i make my living through the targeted deployment of fully weaponised adhd.

So my movie preferences may not be exactly mainstream.

It's all been downhill since Buckaroo Banzai.

:)
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

My fave movies? The Quiet Earth and The Martian.

Misanthropic much?

The whole flick, but only watchable on YooChoob.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:19 pm My fave movies? The Quiet Earth and The Martian.

Misanthropic much?

And 2001, because: weird, goes far from Earth, protagonist transcends being human.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:46 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:19 pm My fave movies? The Quiet Earth and The Martian.

Misanthropic much?

And 2001, because: weird, goes far from Earth, protagonist transcends being human.
I loved The Quiet Earth, but if I had a proper favourite list I feel it should contain films I've seen multiple times.
2001 is always at or near the top for me. I love A Clockwork Orange too. Barbarella is another one that gives me immense pleasure on many levels, likewise Fantastic Planet/La Planete Sauvage. Apocalypse Now. Miyazaki and Kurosawa. The original Westworld and Planet of the Apes. Life of Brian/Holy Grail.

I guess I'm not into reality, it's more hyper-reality.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Sasquatch Sunset. One of the strangest movies i've seen, beautiful, sad, grotesque and hilarious. No dialogue but a compelling narrative. This movie is very difficult to explain, it's best just to watch it.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber