WTF - Just Odd Stuff

For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.
Irrev-Black

Re: WTF - Just Odd Stuff

Post by Irrev-Black »

Not all heroes wear capes.

In Atlanta, the streets are safer for car tires, thanks to the efforts of a guy known as the "Atlanta Magnet Man." Alex Benigno has taken it upon himself to remove nails, screws, and other metal bits from the streets by biking around with a magnet-equipped trailer.

Benigno started his DIY project during the COVID-19 pandemic when he noticed a lot of sharp metal debris on roads, which was causing damage to his own car and motorcycle tires. His efforts have since evolved into a daily routine, covering approximately ten miles and collecting around six pounds of debris each day.

As reported by WABE, the Atlanta Department of Transportation and the Department of Public Works are underfunded, with Atlanta's transportation department facing a 12% budget cut last year. This shortfall had left Atlanta's streets and bike lanes filled with debris, posing risks not only to cars but also to cyclists, scooter users, and pedestrians.

Benigno's daily bike rides have resulted in the collection of 410 pounds of tire puncturing junk, which he has donated to a scrap metal artist. His efforts have not gone unnoticed; with a growing Instagram following and a successful GoFundMe campaign, his mission is now a crowdfunded effort. He's like a city service supported directly by appreciative Atlanta residents.
https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/meet- ... -hero.html

I'm looking meaningfully at that clump of hard-drive magnets I have.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Those Vic Libs must be in trouble!
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Can't think of a better place for this, it's fairly long but worth it;

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 pm Can't think of a better place for this, it's fairly long but worth it;

In Soviet Russia, metal hits you!

I can't help mentioning that "property is theft" is associated with Pierre Joseph Proudhon, an anarchist whose ideas and slogans were rejected by Marx and are highly unlikely to make their way into any form of Soviet public life if I'm not mistaken. BUT at least it didn't have dated racial depictions. I still love this one despite that...

I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:46 pm
stevebrooks wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 pm Can't think of a better place for this, it's fairly long but worth it;

In Soviet Russia, metal hits you!

I can't help mentioning that "property is theft" is associated with Pierre Joseph Proudhon, an anarchist whose ideas and slogans were rejected by Marx and are highly unlikely to make their way into any form of Soviet public life if I'm not mistaken. BUT at least it didn't have dated racial depictions. I still love this one despite that...

And context is everything. This is actually sourced from a German satirical game show. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetten,_dass..%3F
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

We all remember that bizarre Tucker Carlson in Russian Supermarket video right? The one were the marveled at the pay to use trolleys, "look you put a ruble i and get it back when you return the trolley." "look the trolleys don't run away when you take them onto the sloping travelator, this is the future today."

Yes it was really that bizarre and I recall thinking, well I guess he just doesn't go and do shopping himself, must pay someone to do it all since he doesn't have any idea how modern shopping centers are built or work. Now suddenly I find myself wondering once again exactly what passes for thinking in the US as a news.com article has an America tourist marveling at the fact that trolleys don't run away on the travelator.
An American tourist has been blown away by Aussie travelators.

After visiting the supermarket inside a Westfield shopping centre in Perth, the US traveller, who goes by the TikTok handle ‘beefystuu’, took her Coles trolley on the travelator.

“Look, I’m not even touching the cart or trolley and it’s not slipping, and I think that’s super cool,” she said in a video.

Trolleys used in shopping centres that have travelators have special brake legs on the wheels for safety.
So it actually turns out to be true that they don't have non slip wheels on their shopping trolleys for going down travelators, I mean I find that bizarre and can understand Tucker Carlson's amazement now, the US is far behind the rest of the modern world and coming from the US to a modern western country must be like someone time traveling from medieval times to the future, lol!

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 777c59da82
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

I mean, what?

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chin ... 2f15be499e

Let's just be clear here, sinkholes happen in the ground, usually caused by subsurface water erosion, caves, burst water mains etc, this was the second floor if a shopping center, it wasn't a fucking sinkhole, it was a poorly constructed building that possibly killed someone, way to try and blame nature for shoddily constructed building! I mean sure sinkholes can cause building to collapse, but you don't get just a second floor sinkhole!
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stevebrooks wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm I mean, what?

Let's just be clear here, sinkholes happen in the ground, usually caused by subsurface water erosion, caves, burst water mains etc, this was the second floor if a shopping center, it wasn't a fucking sinkhole, it was a poorly constructed building that possibly killed someone, way to try and blame nature for shoddily constructed building! I mean sure sinkholes can cause building to collapse, but you don't get just a second floor sinkhole!
According to what I read, somebody demolished a load-bearing wall on the lower floor.
https://boingboing.net/2024/03/27/shopp ... -wall.html
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 pm
stevebrooks wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm I mean, what?

According to what I read, somebody demolished a load-bearing wall on the lower floor.
https://boingboing.net/2024/03/27/shopp ... -wall.html
Well I'm sorry, but collapsing buildings are everywhere nowadays. BORING! Unless you make it sound like that scene from "Return of the Jedi", I'm just not going to click on it.
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

All those orange vests running around and not a single one of them had a fucking clue what they were doing! Where's OSHA when you need it?