USA Gun Deaths

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
pipbarber

Re: USA Gun Deaths

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:52 am Shooting at a Superbowl parade. Let's wait and see if it's linked to the batshit crazy Taylor Swift fix conspiracy. Maybe it's not, but the fact that we even need to consider it is a sign of how far into loony-land MAGA America has gone.

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/ka ... index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... nman-video

Looks like it was just an argument, of some description, between the three - involving guns of course, being the US. That's probably better than it being people acting on a crazy conspiracy theory.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
nibble

Post by nibble »

Not sure if this has been posted before but I think it sums things up re gun control in U.S

Spiral out ....
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Gun deaths are back for Juneteenth;
Juneteenth, officially Juneteenth National Independence Day, is a federal holiday in the United States. It is celebrated annually on June 19 to commemorate the ending of slavery in the United States.
The shooting occurred apparently during a Juneteenth gathering;
At least two people were killed and multiple others were injured in a shooting at a Juneteenth celebration at a Round Rock, Texas, park Saturday night, police said.
The reason for the shooting hasn't been released by authorites.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/16/us/r ... index.html
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

The supreme court loves guns and murder even more than Trump... although his response is "yeah whatever", after his ban on bump stocks was thrown out. His legacy of 99% shit is being perfected over time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-15/ ... /103982202
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Another day another US school shooting. This time the parent has been arrested on multiple charges.

After the student making facebook threats the family was contacted by the FBI, the student was interviewed with parent present and identified as a troubled teen, the parent made an undertaking that the teen wouldn't have access to his firearms, and what does he do, gifts him an AR15 for the holidays, the same AR15 that was used in the school shooting. If this isn't being directly culpable I don't know what is.
Colin Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023, according to two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

One source told CNN the AR-15-style rifle was purchased at a local gun store as a Christmas present. The timeline the teen’s father provided to authorities would put the gun purchase months after authorities first contacted Gray and his family to investigate school shooting threats made online.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/09/05/us/w ... igh-school
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:14 pm Another day another US school shooting. This time the parent has been arrested on multiple charges.

After the student making facebook threats the family was contacted by the FBI, the student was interviewed with parent present and identified as a troubled teen, the parent made an undertaking that the teen wouldn't have access to his firearms, and what does he do, gifts him an AR15 for the holidays, the same AR15 that was used in the school shooting. If this isn't being directly culpable I don't know what is.
Colin Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023, according to two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

One source told CNN the AR-15-style rifle was purchased at a local gun store as a Christmas present. The timeline the teen’s father provided to authorities would put the gun purchase months after authorities first contacted Gray and his family to investigate school shooting threats made online.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/09/05/us/w ... igh-school
The father should face extra charges for naming his child "Colt".
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:15 pm
Laugh isn't the right emoji, more a dark chuckle. (Just to clarify).
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:07 pm
stylofone wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:15 pm
Laugh isn't the right emoji, more a dark chuckle. (Just to clarify).
I generally try to contain my inner horror at modern trends in baby names, mainly out of respect for the children saddled with their parents' ill-advised self-indulgence. But the fact that Colt is a prominent gun manufacturer and one of the first to make the AR-15 makes me wonder whether this teen-aged murderer was raised to kill from his very first day on earth.

Armalite, I just read, was the very first AR-15 maker, but Colt developed it further.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

It's got me curious about how much an AR-15 costs. I looked at a couple of US websites, which were disturbing on their own, and it seems the top shelf is around $2500 but a good second hand one can be got for $400. Bullets, or ammo, from $7-$20 for 20 'rounds,' which presumably means bullets. What a fucking waste of money.

I know it's an old idea, but massively taxing bullets seems like an obvious way around the second amendment bullshit. Then again, making them cost prohibitive would just produce a giant black market, somewhat like tobacco here. It seems there are somewhere between 200 and 500 million guns in the US, but no one really knows. All levels of policing have around 1 million guns between them (as of 2018) and then there's all the military weaponry, not included in any of those figures. https://www.thetrace.org/2023/03/guns-a ... atf-total/

Just....what the very fuck is wrong with that place?
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:15 am Just....what the very fuck is wrong with that place?
I think it's got dramatically worse recently. The sickening idea that guns should be associated with children as some kind of virtue is one of the worst signs. The way assault rifles are prominent is another horror. They are specifically designed to kill humans efficiently and at scale. Hunting rifles are for animals, there are other "sport" guns for target shooting. Even hand guns have a flavour of self defence about them, however bogus it is. But weapons of war for pre-teens under the Christmas tree is a real horror.

image-3303434213.jpg
image-3303434213.jpg (124 KiB) Viewed 22 times
I can feel it