Notable Deaths

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
stylofone

Re: Notable Deaths

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:49 pm Thanks and goodbye, Shane MacGowan.
Singer-songwriter and The Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan has died aged 65, following ill-health and a recent hospital stay after being diagnosed with encephalitis.

The musician, whose hits include 1987's Fairytale of New York and A Pair of Brown Eyes, had been unwell for some time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67546785
I saw them at the ANU in the 90s. Shane McGowan was so drunk he had to be guided to the stage by a roadie wallking behind him, clutching his upper arms. The roadie stayed behind him while he sang a token verse or two, then guided him off the stage like he was Hannibal Lecter. Spider Stacy sang most of the songs IIRC. It was part of the drama, part of the legend, so we didn't feel ripped off. The band were so loud and raucous it didn't matter too much. I kind of feel the same about him dying, it's been long anticipated.

But it's still sad. Shane McGowan, I salute you!
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Shane MacGowan makes the news in 1976. Such happy times! :-) There's also film of him hanging out with the so-called "Bromley contingent" of Sex Pistols fans.
Shane-MacGowan-infamous_ear_biteclash_gig.jpg
Shane-MacGowan-infamous_ear_biteclash_gig.jpg (188.8 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Henry killenger beautifully counterpointed by Shane MacGowen.

Vale Shane MacGowen

Fuck you kissenger
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Bye, and thanks, Dr Alex Ritchie.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 5ep2m.html
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Thanks, and goodbye, Denny Laine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67630264

Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:58 am Thanks, and goodbye, Denny Laine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67630264

Thanks for posting this psych-pop nugget which I hadn't seen before. I checked, it is not on the "Nuggets" compilations, but it could be. In many ways he was a perennial second-division player... except that in music it's not so strictly hierarchical, he might have been better than some of the first-divison superstars. I also enjoyed seeing the 1960s CND imagery, recalling the chapter in Jon Savage's "1965" about the shadow of nuclear annihilation that hung over the 1960s.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:25 am
(SNIP)

I also enjoyed seeing the 1960s CND imagery, recalling the chapter in Jon Savage's "1965" about the shadow of nuclear annihilation that hung over the 1960s.
For a timely bonus, check out the backstory to Hedgehoppers Anonymous.

Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

A tradition: Christhebarker at b3ta.com has done the annual Sgt Pepper Cover featuring notable departures.

Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:47 am A tradition: Christhebarker at b3ta.com has done the annual Sgt Pepper Cover featuring notable departures.

I love this. The oak tree, the flags and especially the Queen represented by Jamie Reid's Sex Pistols artwork. Bad-arse! Looking forward to the key, which I recall from last year arrived separately.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Goodbye, and thanks, to John Pilger.
Veteran Australian journalist John Pilger has died in London, aged 84.

His family announced his death in a post on social media, saying Pilger's "journalism and documentaries were celebrated around the world".

"To his family he was simply the most amazing and loved Dad, Grandad and partner," they wrote.

Pilger grew up in Sydney's Bondi, before working as a foreign correspondent for Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper.

His documentaries won numerous awards, including an Emmy and a BAFTA, and he was a staunch critic of Australia's treatment of its Indigenous people.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-31/ ... /103276142
Prove me wrong.