UK Watch

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
stevebrooks

Re: UK Watch

Post by stevebrooks »

pipbarber wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:19 pmIt really is incredible how speaker after speaker (from my limited view of them) have stood up and listed endless grievances and complaints about how terrible Britain has become. Ok, sure, but...these are the very same people who have been in government for 13 years!
In charge if things for 13 years, and for 13 years they have been in charge of HS2 (High Speed Rail 2), and suddenly they are just abandoning it and losing hundreds of millions in cancelled contracts, nothing makes sense over there!

Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Dissent is being discouraged a bit, eh?

https://kolektiva.social/@dwasmkuk@toot ... 0697791063

Ah, those nebulous "values"!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -uk-values
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

In the UK, Suella Braverman has made the lifestyle choice to come across as an inhuman ideologue.
Britain’s interior minister Suella Braverman has floated the idea of limiting the use of tents by homeless people, in a move widely criticised by charities, London Mayor Sadiq Khan and even some lawmakers in the governing Conservative Party.

"We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice," Braverman said on X.

For Billy and Jay, 50, their tent is a lifeline — particularly as they had to raise the money to buy a new one after the tents they had were set on fire, leaving them with almost no possessions.

"It’s disgusting, they’re putting all their efforts into hiding the problem (rather) than solving the problem,” said Jay. "No one would choose to be in this position ... It makes me mad thinking about it.”

"I would absolutely love for them to spend a week in our shoes, just to see what it’s like," he added.

In the run-up to the 2019 election, the Conservatives promised to end rough sleeping by 2024.
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-rou ... 023-11-07/
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:20 am In the UK, Suella Braverman has made the lifestyle choice to come across as an inhuman ideologue.
Britain’s interior minister Suella Braverman has floated the idea of limiting the use of tents by homeless people, in a move widely criticised by charities, London Mayor Sadiq Khan and even some lawmakers in the governing Conservative Party.

"We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice," Braverman said on X.

For Billy and Jay, 50, their tent is a lifeline — particularly as they had to raise the money to buy a new one after the tents they had were set on fire, leaving them with almost no possessions.

"It’s disgusting, they’re putting all their efforts into hiding the problem (rather) than solving the problem,” said Jay. "No one would choose to be in this position ... It makes me mad thinking about it.”

"I would absolutely love for them to spend a week in our shoes, just to see what it’s like," he added.

In the run-up to the 2019 election, the Conservatives promised to end rough sleeping by 2024.
The obvious solution of course is to give them all houses, why does no conservative politician actually come to this obvious solution?
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stevebrooks wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:58 pm
Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:20 am In the UK, Suella Braverman has made the lifestyle choice to come across as an inhuman ideologue.

The obvious solution of course is to give them all houses, why does no conservative politician actually come to this obvious solution?
It apparently only occurs to the GovCo in Iceland, where it was a success. Cheaper too!
Prove me wrong.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

It appears that legislation passed by parliament to remove legacy EU rules and regulations actually act to remove women's rights to maternity leave and equal pay, and they had no idea they were doing that until after the legislation was passed and it was pointed out by people who studied the legislation after it was released to the public, lol!

Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

In case Elon vanishes this, there's a pic of Ol' King Chuckles, all dressed up.
This man asked his government to help ease his country’s cost of living crisis today wearing a coat made of rare slaughtered animals, a silly hat worth more than the combined annual income of every single Briton, and while sitting in a chair which took a thousand nuns fifty years to embroider while they lived on bread and water in a mouldy Scottish basement.

Make any of this make sense.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Braverman sacked. Speed of circling the plughole now somewhat slower.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-67370421
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:00 pm Braverman sacked. Speed of circling the plughole now somewhat slower.
Sacked from the crazy party for being too crazy, was what I first thought. Then I thought, if Screaming Lord Sutch were starting out today, or if Monty Python were creating the Silly Party and the Slightly Silly Party of Kevin Philips Bong, they'd probably look at the Tories and give up their attempts to make a farcical version, because reality was already absurd enough.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

In recent decades, i reckon only Trump's government was more chaotic than this bunch of Tories. Next on the agenda is Braverman organising a spill to take over from Rishi, probably sometime before xmas.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber