Pick 'n' Mix "Spirituality"

Discussion of religion, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and similar topics.
Irrev-Black

Re: Pick 'n' Mix "Spirituality"

Post by Irrev-Black »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:36 am I'm not sure what you mean by systematised.
If you mean have I put some thought into my beliefs I would say a bit but not too much.

I'm not trying to refute the point that it is religion, more quibbling the point by saying that there is organised religion and disorganised religion (which is what I mean when I say I'm spiritual but not religious it's shorthand for not being organised religion).

They most probably are the dry sump of nothingness as you put it, and I'm not here to change your mind about that, so apologies if I came across as argumentative or contrarian.
I'm certainly not seeing that in it, TPA, but you'd have to see that "degree of organisation or otherwise" isn't much of a criterion by which to differentiate.

In the olden days, when I was a theologian, I could at least assess what a person was asserting, using the framework of whatever school of belief they used.

Fuzzy feels are probably nice to experience, but what good can come of them, outside of the subjective realm?
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Theisticproatheist

Post by Theisticproatheist »

Nice photo, if we have any xanthorrhea that majestic live in NSW I haven't seen them, although perhaps I just need to get out more lol
Theisticproatheist

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:00 am
Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:36 am I'm not sure what you mean by systematised.
If you mean have I put some thought into my beliefs I would say a bit but not too much.

I'm not trying to refute the point that it is religion, more quibbling the point by saying that there is organised religion and disorganised religion (which is what I mean when I say I'm spiritual but not religious it's shorthand for not being organised religion).

They most probably are the dry sump of nothingness as you put it, and I'm not here to change your mind about that, so apologies if I came across as argumentative or contrarian.
I'm certainly not seeing that in it, TPA, but you'd have to see that "degree of organisation or otherwise" isn't much of a criterion by which to differentiate.

In the olden days, when I was a theologian, I could at least assess what a person was asserting, using the framework of whatever school of belief they used.

Fuzzy feels are probably nice to experience, but what good can come of them, outside of the subjective realm?
I'm not here to sell you spirituality, somethings just are and have no particular good come of them if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not entirely sure why I have a sense of spirituality, it could be just an undesirable by-product of being indoctrinated too young to be able to think critically but I wouldn't know that to be able to attribute that as the reason. Maybe it doesn't need to have a reason? I just got used to accepting that it was a part of my identity that I didn't have any luck changing. I guess at the end of the day one just has to figuratively look in the mirror and accept themselves warts and all.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:23 am
I'm not here to sell you spirituality, somethings just are and have no particular good come of them if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not entirely sure why I have a sense of spirituality, it could be just an undesirable by-product of being indoctrinated too young to be able to think critically but I wouldn't know that to be able to attribute that as the reason. Maybe it doesn't need to have a reason? I just got used to accepting that it was a part of my identity that I didn't have any luck changing. I guess at the end of the day one just has to figuratively look in the mirror and accept themselves warts and all.
You have a feeling. The amount of importance you attach to it is your own affair.

Are you trying to find ways in which you, yourself, might deal with that feeling?

I don't think I have anything to do with that feeling.

If that feeling doesn't raise the temperature of my cup of tea, solve world hunger, or prolong your life, why is it special at all?
Prove me wrong.
Theisticproatheist

Irrev-Black wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:31 am
Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:23 am

You have a feeling. The amount of importance you attach to it is your own affair.

Are you trying to find ways in which you, yourself, might deal with that feeling?

I don't think I have anything to do with that feeling.

If that feeling doesn't raise the temperature of my cup of tea, solve world hunger, or prolong your life, why is it special at all?
Thanks, you are exactly correct, it is my own affair.

I'm not trying to deal with the feeling, I have tried dealing with it in the past, been unable to and ultimately ended up deciding if I can't solve a certain puzzle why worry?

My feeling is not "special" it is simply my own, that is all.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:50 am (Snippage occurred)

My feeling is not "special" it is simply my own, that is all.
'Zackly!

Let's get on with stuff with more in common.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:23 amI'm not here to sell you spirituality, somethings just are and have no particular good come of them if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not entirely sure why I have a sense of spirituality, it could be just an undesirable by-product of being indoctrinated too young to be able to think critically
It still sounds like long covid to me. People have all kinds of thoughts and feelings. We don't know everything about them, but our knowledge is pretty good - neurology, psychology etc.. By describing this particular feeling as "spiritual" I infer that you ascribe some sort of external force to it, or maybe a supernatural element. Why is it different to all the other thoughts and feelings?

Descartes thought the soul resided in the pineal gland, what a silly random idea. Well he's pretty famous, so having silly ideas can put you in good company.

I might start a new Christian sect, and instead of INRI above the crucified Jesus, it can say SBNR. :D :twisted:
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Remember how, a couple of forum incarnations back, we had that long-running wafflefest with that "social anglican" who wanted to show he was special because his exercise chemicals kicked in after he'd been exerting himself in the lovely Blue Mountains?

Fuck, I don't want to experience anything like that again.
Prove me wrong.
Theisticproatheist

stylofone wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:53 am
Theisticproatheist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:23 amI'm not here to sell you spirituality, somethings just are and have no particular good come of them if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not entirely sure why I have a sense of spirituality, it could be just an undesirable by-product of being indoctrinated too young to be able to think critically
It still sounds like long covid to me. People have all kinds of thoughts and feelings. We don't know everything about them, but our knowledge is pretty good - neurology, psychology etc.. By describing this particular feeling as "spiritual" I infer that you ascribe some sort of external force to it, or maybe a supernatural element. Why is it different to all the other thoughts and feelings?

Descartes thought the soul resided in the pineal gland, what a silly random idea. Well he's pretty famous, so having silly ideas can put you in good company.

I might start a new Christian sect, and instead of INRI above the crucified Jesus, it can say SBNR. :D :twisted:
Thanks for asking for clarification, like atheists I think that all thoughts originate from the brain. In describing these thoughts as "spiritual" I did not mean to imply that they are of supernatural origin, I only meant to say that the topic or subject of these thoughts was thoughts about the supernatural.

Being one of the rabble as opposed to an educated refined type it sometimes takes me a few goes to convey my meaning.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

What, no role for the neural network?
Prove me wrong.