Peterson, Pinker, IDW and other celeb bullshitters

Discussion of religion, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and similar topics.
stylofone

Re: Peterson, Pinker, IDW and other celeb bullshitters

Post by stylofone »

The climate denial is one of their worst traits, but I feel like this article misses the mark a little bit by focusing on it. Perhaps it should have been the way that once mainstream, supposedly "centre right" politicians are hooked on the drug being sold by Christo-fascists, far right populists and various other toxic clowns. It also reminded me of Gandhi's view of western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... lourishing
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Check the Oz political names on Jordan's guestlist:

Barnaby
Dom Perrottet
John Howard
Jacinta Nampijinpa Price
Andrew Hastie
James Paterson
Alex Antic
Matt Canavan

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... conference
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:52 pm The climate denial is one of their worst traits, but I feel like this article misses the mark a little bit by focusing on it. Perhaps it should have been the way that once mainstream, supposedly "centre right" politicians are hooked on the drug being sold by Christo-fascists, far right populists and various other toxic clowns. It also reminded me of Gandhi's view of western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... lourishing
What is the motivation to invent this bullshit, to ferret around within the mountain of climate data to find some tiny point which apparently proves the whole thing to be a woke conspiracy. Sea level rise is not a problem because the Netherlands? Checkmate? Huh?

We all have Steven Pinker to thank for the human flourishing fantasy, he basically invented the movement in his Better Angles....fictional statistical account of human progress, his influence is on display, from reports of this conference. We are definitely flourishing as a species, we've never had it so good (provided you only count wealthy white people living in wealthy white countries). This is the 'intellectual' right.

I liked this Guardian article, especially toward the end where the journo seems to go off script a little.
Shellenberger said a “story of environmental progress” had come last month in a report from the International Energy Agency (IEA), which said global CO2 emissions could peak this year.

“None of this you will read about in the mainstream news media which has just been delivering stories of catastrophe and apocalypse,” he said.

But for the record, the report’s main finding was covered ahead of time by the Guardian.

When it was released, the IEA’s report you apparently won’t read about in the mainstream media was covered by fringe outlets such as the BBC, the New York Times, CNN and likely a bunch of other outlets.

Yes, there have been lots of stories of catastrophes. Because there have been lots of catastrophes.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

A fine article on Barnaby & Pals, They Go A-Jordan-Festing:
Jordan Peterson is a controversial Canadian psychologist and Kermit The Frog soundalike, who this week led a conference that has been described by some as a right-wing quasi-think-tank event. In this journalist’s opinion, the word circle-jerk is probably more fitting, as the last thing I want Barnaby Joyce in is any sort of tank.

Joyce, Howard, and Price were not the only AusPol peeps in attendance however, as various other members of the Coalition also showed up, including Andrew Hastie, James Paterson, Alex Antic and Matt Canavan. Ex NSW premier Dominic Perrottet was also present.

To save you Googling it yourself, yes they are all late-middle-aged white men who voted ‘No’ in the recent referendum.
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/barnaby- ... onference/
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.