Gadgets

All things technology oriented.
stylofone

Re: Gadgets

Post by stylofone »

stylofone wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:12 pm I've inherited an unwanted automatic coffee machine. It is a behemoth. At first I felt threatened by its imposing bulk and Jetsons-like automation, but I've decided to give it a try. It came without a manual and the first thing I discovered was that the flashing light was saying "descale me!". I was craving caffeine so I made a cup with my old machine to cope with that challenge, but now it is all set up ready for tomorrow morning. It even grinds the beans.

Coffee machine update. I got sick of the huge machine hogging my precious bench space, so I reverted to the earlier, smaller version. Now it has started to misbehave, and I've regressed further, pressing my percolator into service. It is the new winner. It's not really any more fiddly than the espresso machine, which now joins the big black one in the surplus gadget graveyard. I enjoy the ritual of coffee-making, a machine is not needed.

I have conflicting interests in both minimalism and gadgetry. Actually they don't always conflict. Reducing the amount of technology in the kitchen enhances the value of the technology in the playroom (my music and video studio). Sometimes high-tech can be elegant and practical, too.

I can't upload a photo at the moment for some reason. Please imagine an image of a medium sized percolator next to a Delonghi Dedica espresso machine on a neat, uncluttered kitchen benchtop.
I can feel it
wolty

Post by wolty »

I've had my Osmo Action 4 for a while now. And it has to be the best action camera on the market at the moment. From memory I waited until the Black Friday sales and got it for around $400-$500. Worth every cent. I'm still learning all it's functionality. I looked in to the Go Pro 12 as well but after lots of research it was a no brainer.

Loki

Post by Loki »

Ah, you've rented a Chinese spy camera :)

Wondering if they can keep the quality and price up now they have been denied the US market.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Loki wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:32 pm Ah, you've rented a Chinese spy camera :)

Wondering if they can keep the quality and price up now they have been denied the US market.
Ha ha, I own one each of these: a "worst ever" Go Pro 9, and a DJI "Chinese spy" drone, both bought in ignorance of the issues. I'm lucky so far, the Go Pro hasn't had any reliability issues. I ran it for about 7 hours yesterday making a timelapse to check the amount of shade and sunlight in my back yard. The drone is generally not online, and the phone connected to the controller has no sim card.
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I've got a cheap Chinese macro pad similar to this one. When I deleted WIndows in a fit of open source commie righteousness, I forgot I'd need to reprogram the keys, and its primitive configuration software is WIndows and Mac only.

I rifled through my hoarding boxes, where I found THREE laptops inherited from relatives who upgraded - they are from the Win 7, 8 and XP eras. One of them booted up and my macro pad is now functional. Seven often-used fiddly functions are now close at hand.

I will take the two dead laptops to e-waste very soon. That will also be satisfying.
mpad.jpeg
mpad.jpeg (56.51 KiB) Viewed 64 times
I can feel it