Patriarchy, DV and misogyny

Discussion of Family, Wellbeing, Education, Justice and Sexuality
Irrev-Black

Re: Patriarchy, DV and misogyny

Post by Irrev-Black »

Chalk this up as a win!

https://kolektiva.social/deck/@swearyan ... 6458165938

"Boy Matildas" they shall remain, evermore.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:00 pm Chalk this up as a win!

https://kolektiva.social/deck/@swearyan ... 6458165938

"Boy Matildas" they shall remain, evermore.
No, I'm sorry, you won't convince me. Calling them the Boy Matildas is silly. They don't deserve it.

Let's face it, men's sport is just less interesting. Also there's no money in it. No-one wants to watch it, and trying to suggest that men's sport is just as good as women's sport is political correctness gone mad. The men can cluck away at each other over their routers and chisels and beer guts at the men's shed all they like, but that doesn't mean I should pay any attention to their boring brutality on the sports field.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:41 pm It's still before the courts, so of course our members will comment wisely and not ruin the course of justice...

... but the name of the Toowoomba rape defendant is now legally revealed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-26/ ... /102962680
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (117.72 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Who's leaking this shit to Rupert's minions, and why? Are they trying to fuck up any chance of a trial for this gilded, spoilt child?
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

And a timely marker from Jane Caro:

(In case the Xitterbird eats it)
56 women killed by men who claimed to love them so far this year. We need to do an urgent rethink of how we model relationships to both boys and girls, but especially boys. Something is badly wrong.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

The "good bloke" excuse, in Upper Class Twit of the Year dialect, is "absolute delight". Maybe it would be better if they just shut the whole school down and transferred the assets to the public system.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-04/ ... /103062628
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

I watched this movie recently, starring the amazing Julia Garner and directed by Kitty Green, set in a remote Australian town. Very much in the genre of Men (but without the gore). In some ways it's a mushing together of Men and Wake in Fright, but that's probably doing it an injustice, i think it may be better than both, for differing reasons. Anyway, a fabulous and disturbing snapshot of how patriarchy operates in remote Australia.

Some very interesting film making going on here too. Especially if you like your patriarchal tension and outright horror to be more implied, rather than depicted. It's a talented film maker that can do that and successfully sustain it throughout. Highly recommended from me.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/n ... -assistant
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I just watched the new documentary about the Wiggles. I'd forgotten that when Emma Watkins joined, there was a misogynist backlash on social media. Then more recently when they expanded the lineup to include non-white members and a realistic gender balance, there was another backlash, but this time it was the Murdoch hate machine and members of parliament leading the charge. It made me think that the worst bilge used to be confined to the dark corners of the internet, but now it's spewing out from some of the most powerful entities out there, it's a bit disturbing.

I have had non-stop exposure to the Wiggles since the 1990s and sometimes it's a bit galling, but their evolving recruitment strategy is really excellent, and despite the ongoing wiggly saturation around here I quite enjoyed the doco.
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

The arguments in this article are pretty strong - privilege leads to misogynistic violence, it is systemic and promoted by the leadership of these institutions. If you think you are doing the right thing by your children - especially your sons - to send them to schools like this, I'd say "do you want your son to be taught how to be a rapist or a murderer?"

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/new ... ulture#mtr
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:07 pm The arguments in this article are pretty strong - privilege leads to misogynistic violence, it is systemic and promoted by the leadership of these institutions. If you think you are doing the right thing by your children - especially your sons - to send them to schools like this, I'd say "do you want your son to be taught how to be a rapist or a murderer?"

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/new ... ulture#mtr
The school which gave you Bruce Lehrmann, and so much more, has standards ...
The Toowoomba Chronicle·10 days ago
Elite school terminates teacher’s contract after lingerie content discovery
An elite all-boys school in Toowoomba terminated the contract of a young female staff member after students discovered photos of the teacher posing in lingerie online.
.. at least two standards, by my count.

And the boys harassed the teacher heavily, but there was apparently no punishment for these future LNP members.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (152.03 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:49 pm
The school which gave you Bruce Lehrmann, and so much more, has standards ...
The Toowoomba Chronicle·10 days ago
Elite school terminates teacher’s contract after lingerie content discovery
An elite all-boys school in Toowoomba terminated the contract of a young female staff member after students discovered photos of the teacher posing in lingerie online.
.. at least two standards, by my count.

And the boys harassed the teacher heavily, but there was apparently no punishment for these future LNP members.

Untitled.png
And, just to make it clear, the pics of the teacher were from a time previous to her working at the Toontown Creche For Little Manbrats.
Prove me wrong.