Hello again

Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.
c2105026

Hello again

Post by c2105026 »

Not sure what I’ll get out of this - but sticking my head in for a look around.

C2105026 here - was a very active member on the old site from 2010-2018. Dropped off atheism involvement due to getting stuck into 12 step recovery to resolve an eating disorder. I felt the two were incompatible, due to the highly spiritual nature of any 12 step program. Recovery took priority.

Until recently been involved with Overeaters Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous on and off since then and have built a semi-sustained recovery of 3 and a bit years.

I have since left Overeaters Anonymous as I feel that what I have since learned about eating disorders and recovery is no longer compatible with what was expected of me. Im not in AA anymore as I no longer consider myself ‘alcoholic’.

My time in 12 step recovery has left a god-shaped imprint on my psyche/mind/worldview. Whilst I don’t adhere to any belief system, I don’t believe I’m alone in the universe in a greater sense. Whilst I don’t have any hard scientific evidence to this end, I still find it satisfying and comforting and have no desire to change this view.

To complicate matters I’m a high school teacher, currently teaching in the systemic Catholic system, despite the fact I’m not Catholic. Before that I was 3yrs at independent Catholic school, and 2yrs at a General independent Plymouth Brethren independent school. I started my career in the NSW DEC where I was treated pretty badly and have no desire to return to the public system.

At school I participate in religious activities to my level of Catholicism or belief. I don’t take communion as I’m not confirmed Catholic but I show up to the local Sunday Evening Mass when the school is running it, out of support and, well, something to do.

I do not deliver any religious education as I’m not ‘accredited’ to do so. Just maths, maybe next year Engineering studies too.
pipbarber

Re: Hello again

Post by pipbarber »

Hello! I remember you! Welcome back. Stuck with teaching i see, good for you!
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Ah, C-numbers!

Still got the Commodore?

Welcome back.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
c2105026

Post by c2105026 »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:34 pm Ah, C-numbers!

Still got the Commodore?

Welcome back.
I have *a* Commodore
1979 Commodore KLB321 that I posted in the old car thread was sold for $5700 on eBay to fund my moving house and to liberate space after I left teaching initially in early 2016. It resold last year for $25k in a deceased estate.

To cut a long story short in its place are two other Holdens
- 2000 VT Commodore - ex Sydney 2000 Olympics courtesy vehicle.
- 1985 RB Gemini - one family owned for 33yrs over three generations. Bought in Sth Australia mid 2019, driven home to Central West NSW. Very rare. Only one I’ve ever seen on the road!

Daily driver is a 2015 Holden Caprice. 6L V8. Best car I’ve ever owned.

Three vehicles are used as photographic props for my ‘Used to be a Holden Dealer’ Facebook page, set up to commemorate the decline and ultimate demise of a once noble brand. I travel the country locating and documenting former Holden dealer locations. Since 2017 I’ve done well over 200 sites in NSW, Victoria, ACT and SA
c2105026

Post by c2105026 »

pipbarber wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:29 pm Hello! I remember you! Welcome back. Stuck with teaching i see, good for you!
Yes, thank you :)

For a lot of 2016-2018 I was umming and aahing about retraining as a psychologist but once I got my formal NESA accreditation late 2018 I thought ‘that’s it, I’m a teacher’.

Overall it’s ok - I set my work up to give a good work/life balance. Maths teaching doesn’t involve crazy hours with huge amounts of prep work. Working in independent schools with more manageable student behaviour and better managerial support has boosted my confidence with classroom management and lesson delivery significantly.

It does feel odd teaching at a Catholic school as a non-catholic, non-religious deist. But overall it’s a good place to work. I get along very well with my managers. I have positive relationships with most of my students.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Hi and welcome back... you're reminding me of my own Catholic education. For all six years of high school my maths teachers were Catholic priests. I always loved the subject, 3 unit maths in the HSC was the biggest contributor to my UAC aggregate or whatever it's called nowadays. It was Father Mac for the last two years, a tiny ancient man with a walking frame. He had a quiet patience about him that created a perfect environment in a small classroom. By year 12 all my teachers were lay people except for him. Culturally the Vincentian order was a bit shit, but there were exceptions.

Then after school I dropped it for a completely non-maths work life. But as a discipline, a mode of thinking, it never really left me.
I can feel it
c2105026

Post by c2105026 »

stylofone wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:40 pm Hi and welcome back... you're reminding me of my own Catholic education. For all six years of high school my maths teachers were Catholic priests. I always loved the subject, 3 unit maths in the HSC was the biggest contributor to my UAC aggregate or whatever it's called nowadays. It was Father Mac for the last two years, a tiny ancient man with a walking frame. He had a quiet patience about him that created a perfect environment in a small classroom. By year 12 all my teachers were lay people except for him. Culturally the Vincentian order was a bit shit, but there were exceptions.

Then after school I dropped it for a completely non-maths work life. But as a discipline, a mode of thinking, it never really left me.
Yes - at my last school, for the first 6 months there, the principal was a Marist brother, as was one of the learning support aides. After that, with the exception of a Marist sister as a school chaplain, all were lay teachers.

At my current school, all staff are laypeople. The local priest visits us regularly. He seems nice enough.