Kamala Harris

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
pipbarber

Kamala Harris

Post by pipbarber »

I don't imagine it'll be an overly busy thread, we'll probably be posting on the deranged orange idiot thread more often. But it doesn't make sense to keep the Biden thing going given that Kamala has already won the required delegates to run at the election, at least informally.

I'm not a huge fan, but it's well past time a woman was president and she does not have the baggage of Hillary and she's been VP seamlessly. Well qualified, intelligent, some lived experience of bigotry and prejudice...she'll make a good president i hope, i'd 100% vote for her if i could (though i'd vote for a skid mark rather than Trump so that doesn't mean much). But still, there's something refreshing about her i reckon. So go her!
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Re: Kamala Harris

Post by stylofone »

Zeitgeist is a weird thing. It was a matter of hours after Biden endorsed her, when my heretofore deep skepticism started to dissolve and I felt fired up, inspired, hopeful. People everywhere were expressing similar feelings, in the MSM, IRL, and in my Mastodon echo chamber, whence comes this quote
"While some of this is undoubtedly Vice President Harris, there’s more to it than that. She is operating as the vessel for a lot of people’s hopes and desires, from women, Black people, South Asian people, and the wide net of immigrants and allies that form the American patchwork.'
If this is maintained, then the big turnout for Biden in 2020 will be exceeded. Potentially it's like the anti-Trump Biden vote combined with the "HOPE" vibe of the Obama campaign.

A couple of days before Biden dropped out, I heard an excerpt from a Harris speech, and I thought it was very good in an Obama-esque way. It was also pretty sharp in summarising the sheer evil of Trumpism, which was hugely refreshing after Biden's mumbling incoherence.

But this is all based on this week. There's a long way to go.
I can feel it
Loki

Post by Loki »

Nearly 40K new voters registered in 48 hours after Biden’s exit

She certainly seems to have hit a nerve.

And in typical Demoncrat fashion she appears to be an ordinary human, with actual character, along with life experience and very relevant life history and she intersects a lot of really relevant demographics, unlike Trump or Vance. And she smiles and stuff and isn't a geriatric, how very dare she.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... ala-harris

Tim Walz. I won't pretend to know anything about him but this profile suggests he's not too toxic and might even be a quite decent chap. Pity he's not a little younger but i suppose if you're running a woman of color on the main ticket you need a white man with gray hair standing behind her. (Sorry, too cynical). Hopefully he works out well.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:26 am https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... ala-harris

Tim Walz. I won't pretend to know anything about him but this profile suggests he's not too toxic and might even be a quite decent chap. Pity he's not a little younger but i suppose if you're running a woman of color on the main ticket you need a white man with gray hair standing behind her. (Sorry, too cynical). Hopefully he works out well.
The radio reports this morning were emphasising that he was the one who came up with the "weird" line. It reminds me of the movie "The Social Network". One of the early collaborators made just one contribution, suggesting that Zuckerberg change it from "The Facebook" to simply "Facebook". He later left the scene, owning a percentage of the company worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Hooray for meritocracy, all that for 3 seconds' work.

Reading that article indicates there is a bit more substance behind's Walz's one-word contribution. Politics is insane and detached from reality, and his schtik seems to include reminding people about the real world they will return to one second after they are finished with the conditioned response of modern political discourse. Importantly, other Democrats including Harris' team, have recognised the value of that approach. My sketchy knowledge of US political history includes the success of Democratic "coalitions", especially FDR. Obama's success was also based on coalition building.
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Ah news.com, they never disappoint;
Both of America’s presidential candidates have been criticised more and more for their style of campaigning, albeit for different reasons, with just under 90 days left until the election.

Ms Harris has been blitzing key swing states this week alongside her newly announced pick for the vice presidency, Tim Walz. Each day her schedule involves multiple speeches to large, excited crowds of her supporters.

However, she has not sat down for a single interview or subjected herself to a press conference.
Who has been criticising? For the most part as far as I can tell it's the Trump campaign pushing this nonsense. She doesn't need to sit down to interview or do press conferences, that's Trump's strategy, and mostly because from the looks of it with his lack of campaigning he is too old and tired to travel around the country holding multiple rallies, sometimes multiple in a single day. It hasn't paid well for him either, more and more he's getting the difficult questions and that's not good for him. Also the other fact is, the current strategy being run by the Harris campaign appears to be winning comfortably, why change it? Let your enemies make the mistakes.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 9c5ea5ea5f
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:46 pm Ah news.com, they never disappoint;
Both of America’s presidential candidates have been criticised more and more for their style of campaigning, albeit for different reasons, with just under 90 days left until the election.

Ms Harris has been blitzing key swing states this week alongside her newly announced pick for the vice presidency, Tim Walz. Each day her schedule involves multiple speeches to large, excited crowds of her supporters.

However, she has not sat down for a single interview or subjected herself to a press conference.
Who has been criticising? For the most part as far as I can tell it's the Trump campaign pushing this nonsense. She doesn't need to sit down to interview or do press conferences, that's Trump's strategy, and mostly because from the looks of it with his lack of campaigning he is too old and tired to travel around the country holding multiple rallies, sometimes multiple in a single day. It hasn't paid well for him either, more and more he's getting the difficult questions and that's not good for him. Also the other fact is, the current strategy being run by the Harris campaign appears to be winning comfortably, why change it? Let your enemies make the mistakes.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 9c5ea5ea5f
I'm not sure who the respected senior journalists are any more - the Jim Lehrer types. Adherence to the professional standards of journalism seems to have waned substantially in the Murdochian era of partisanship. But it would be good if a healthy press corps could be revived and actually engaged. So I think Harris actually should do interviews and press conferences and door stops, like they used to do in the days before Trump. It is part of being accountable.

Of course this idea is completely alien to Trump. It's pointless suggesting he support the institutions of a healthy society, he only supports his own supreme ego.
I can feel it
Loki

Post by Loki »

Yes, Harris should interview with honest journalists who ask real questions.

Thing is, Trump voters don't watch those.

I would like to see her do a serious interview with the NABJ team that interviewed Trump.

Just coz.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Loki wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:06 pm Yes, Harris should interview with honest journalists who ask real questions.

I would like to see her do a serious interview with the NABJ team that interviewed Trump.

Just coz.
Yes that would be nice, as you say the real MAGA Trump supporters don't watch that sort of thing so unlikely to sway them but there are a lot of undecided out there who voted Trump last time, and while I think it won't make that huge of a difference to the campaign, it would be nice. In the meantime Trump appears to have dropped the "Kamabla" name calling altogether. I mean it's like a schoolkid right, you call someone a name, if they don't go mad and start acting back it just dies out, that's why the label "weird" works so well against Republicans but doesn't when they try and turn it back to the Dem's.

And now, in a desperate attempt to make anything stick Trump has started accusing Harris of using AI to inflate her crowd numbers;

This is after those oh so obviously AI pictures of him with a gathering of women with extra fingers and strangely long arms and hands where there shouldn't be hands;

https://factcheck.afp.com/doc.afp.com.36AY6VD

So all is not well in Trumpland in his campaign against Kamala, and while it would indeed be nice to see her in an interview with the NABJ, I don't think that would affect the outcome at all really.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:08 am
Loki wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:06 pm Yes, Harris should interview with honest journalists who ask real questions.

Just coz.
Yes that would be nice, as you say the real MAGA Trump supporters don't watch that sort of thing so unlikely to sway them but there are a lot of undecided out there who voted Trump last time, and while I think it won't make that huge of a difference to the campaign, it would be nice. In the meantime Trump appears to have dropped the "Kamabla" name calling altogether. I mean it's like a schoolkid right, you call someone a name, if they don't go mad and start acting back it just dies out, that's why the label "weird" works so well against Republicans but doesn't when they try and turn it back to the Dem's.

And now, in a desperate attempt to make anything stick Trump has started accusing Harris of using AI to inflate her crowd numbers;

This is after those oh so obviously AI pictures of him with a gathering of women with extra fingers and strangely long arms and hands where there shouldn't be hands;

https://factcheck.afp.com/doc.afp.com.36AY6VD

So all is not well in Trumpland in his campaign against Kamala, and while it would indeed be nice to see her in an interview with the NABJ, I don't think that would affect the outcome at all really.
After reading his post about crowd size the word in my mind was "infantile", but "whiny little bitch" packs a bigger punch.
I can feel it