Global computer outage

All things technology oriented.
stylofone

Global computer outage

Post by stylofone »

I'm a lifelong techno sort of person, beginning when my father bought a TRS-80 in the 1970s. But I now think there's too much complexity in technology. Everything's too interconnected. I've just read that the current outage has stopped signals working on the regional train network in Victoria, so inter-city trains have stopped. That's mad.

I saw it in my own career as analog and human systems were replaced with digitisation and automation. At first if there was a digital failure, the skills and equipment for an emergency analog backup were still there. But that was in the early 2000s. There was no backup for later outages, the skills atrophied quickly. .

In my opinion it parallels the surrender of control to silicone valley oligarchs who have ruined so many lives and seek to increase their power with every innovation they seek to exploit.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... op-of-blog
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Re: Global computer outage

Post by joele »

Yeah, my insecure (not company approved) Linux box was fine. of course, but my company laptop is cactus. Constant boot loops, can't even get into recovery

Microsoft Azure, runs preferentially on Linux, so curiously Microsoft kept that up by not using their own product.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
nibble

Post by nibble »

Tech makes life easier albeit more complicated. Not good when it breaks.

Had a few servers at work go cyclic. Had to boot off an ISO to fix them. The fix is simple, but many are faced with manual intervention which will make the recovery process a very long one.

Our global IT department acted quick to rollback the broken Crowdstrike version on the laptops.

It astounds me how many mission critical systems are built on windows.
Spiral out ....
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

nibble wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:17 am Tech makes life easier albeit more complicated. Not good when it breaks.

Had a few servers at work go cyclic. Had to boot off an ISO to fix them. The fix is simple, but many are faced with manual intervention which will make the recovery process a very long one.

Our global IT department acted quick to rollback the broken Crowdstrike version on the laptops.

It astounds me how many mission critical systems are built on windows.
I think Microsoft have used every bit of marketing leverage they have - including the idea that tech makes life easier - to lock clients in. Then their products get worse and suddenly life is not easier any more.

I'm just back from the supermarket where half the self-serve checkouts still have BSOD. Queues were long, staff were stressed. The instructions for the simple fix are still not clear to the struggling retail workers of Moruya!
I can feel it
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

The simple fix isn't so simple when your employer use bitlocker.. Need to get them to fix it next week, I'm sure there will be long queues in the office to get that done..
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin