Donald Trump

Political issues which help or hinder our society.
stevebrooks

Re: Donald Trump

Post by stevebrooks »

stylofone wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:17 pm
stevebrooks wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:45 pmAgreed entirely, but the funny thing is, these Trump rallies and events are supposed to be entirely gun free as far as I am aware, how did the gun even get into the rally?
I just read the shooter was reportedly on a rooftop with an AR15 style of weapon. My limited knowledge of such matters suggests this is not the right gun for this purpose. If it was a sniper rifle and the shooter knew how to use it, Trump would be as dead as JFK now.
I have also read reports the shooter was seen on the roof from other buildings and the police were called several times by people who saw him yet the rally went ahead and they allowed Trump to stand there anyway, but it's a bit early to call any of this as fact, but yes if it was an AR15 it wasn't a serious attempt at all, that's a more lets kill lots of people from close range type weapon.

Claims from the NYT say that the shooter was a registered Republican so we'll see how far that goes, but they do have a name and age so that shouldn't be hard to fact check.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Reuters also now;
Donald Trump was shot at a campaign rally in Pennsylvania
His campaign said he was 'doing well' after treatment
The FBI said it was an assassination attempt
Two people in the crowd were critically wounded, and one killed
The suspect was shot dead at the scene
The FBI identified him as Thomas Matthew Crooks, aged 20
He was from Bethel Park, near the scene of the shooting
He was a registered Republican
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/gunfir ... 024-07-14/
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Ah...life in a post fact culture. We can all choose from an unlimited range of narratives, take your pick.

I'm relieved the shooters name was not Arabic or LatinX sounding. But then again, perhaps he has an atheist sounding name.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

pipbarber wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:00 pm Ah...life in a post fact culture. We can all choose from an unlimited range of narratives, take your pick.

I'm relieved the shooters name was not Arabic or LatinX sounding. But then again, perhaps he has an atheist sounding name.
Yes it doesn't really matter who did it or what his motive, it will be used against the dems, it is indeed a setback, but between now and November they need to start pushing hard. I personally don't think any one candidate is going to make a difference to the dems, the result will be the same, but they need to unite and present a solid front whether they decide to change candidates or not. I personally think it's far to late, but the people who are definitely going to vote for dems will vote for them no matter who is running because they know what's at stake.

Interestingly some outlets are saying while this may be a boon in the short term for Trump, in the long term it may work against him because it will send him even more into dictator mode on his rallies and in his interviews and his extreme views will start turning people away. It's an interesting thought, but whatever happens the world is in for a wild ride!
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

It's being reported that the young man who shot at Trump was a white middle class registered Republican voter. That's about the least inflammatory profile we could have hoped for.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I hope I'm wrong about this.

I remember thinking in 2020 that it wasn't just a bad year, it was the start of a bad decade. This morning I'm hearing radio commentators saying how well it's going for Trump now. The timing is perfect for him. Biden has been diminished by the age issue. Trump sat back and let that happen. Now the damage from that has been done, it's time for Trump to capitalise on his survival and emerge into the spotlight he craves so desperately. Biden has become almost invisible, and then when you see pictures of him you are reminded again of his existence. He seems so physically frail, it reinforces the political decrepitude of his campaign.

Trump's plans for American tyranny are are being downplayed or even ignored. A CNN correspondent was interviewed on ABC news radio. He effectively blamed Biden for divisive rhetoric, because Biden has been saying a Trump victory will be the end of America as we know it. The CNN guy said Trump hasn't been saying stuff like that. I nearly choked on my porridge. It's absurd, Trump says stuff like that in every speech, he's been saying it for decades. "They hate our country, they wanna destroy America, if they get their way you won't have a country any more."

Anyway, the momentum is such that Trump is now on target for an easy victory over Biden, and I don't think changing candidates will be enough to revive the Democrats' disastrous campaign. So get ready for Trump, the sequel, and don't expect anything else from now on because he'll be a dictator on day one.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stylofone wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:39 am I hope I'm wrong about this.

I remember thinking in 2020 that it wasn't just a bad year, it was the start of a bad decade. This morning I'm hearing radio commentators saying how well it's going for Trump now. The timing is perfect for him. Biden has been diminished by the age issue. Trump sat back and let that happen. Now the damage from that has been done, it's time for Trump to capitalise on his survival and emerge into the spotlight he craves so desperately. Biden has become almost invisible, and then when you see pictures of him you are reminded again of his existence. He seems so physically frail, it reinforces the political decrepitude of his campaign.

Trump's plans for American tyranny are are being downplayed or even ignored. A CNN correspondent was interviewed on ABC news radio. He effectively blamed Biden for divisive rhetoric, because Biden has been saying a Trump victory will be the end of America as we know it. The CNN guy said Trump hasn't been saying stuff like that. I nearly choked on my porridge. It's absurd, Trump says stuff like that in every speech, he's been saying it for decades. "They hate our country, they wanna destroy America, if they get their way you won't have a country any more."

Anyway, the momentum is such that Trump is now on target for an easy victory over Biden, and I don't think changing candidates will be enough to revive the Democrats' disastrous campaign. So get ready for Trump, the sequel, and don't expect anything else from now on because he'll be a dictator on day one.
I tend to agree, although there is a possibility that Trump's next term will be more like his first go at it, rather than a worst case scenario. It will be terrible, especially environmentally and for basically everyone that isn't a white man, but Trump doesn't really care about anything, and he's an incompetent idiot. He'll clear his legal issues away, then he'll watch TV and continue his endless rally tour. The GOP probably won't win the house and maybe not the Senate, there will be checks on a total fascist takeover. It is a possible scenario, i think. But of course the full dicktator model is also possible.

As for Biden, i change my mind everyday. But he isn't capable of mustering the type of critique of Trump that could make a difference and if they're going to lose anyway, which seems likely now, they may as well roll the dice on someone else. Someone else whose every statement isn't lost in discussion about how old and dithering the messenger is.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

pipbarber wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:38 am It's being reported that the young man who shot at Trump was a white middle class registered Republican voter. That's about the least inflammatory profile we could have hoped for.
Only yesterday over breakfast I was saying to my (by far) better half, that I was almost surprised that some nut bag on his "own side" hadn't tried to assassinate him. Problem - even if it turned out the perp was a registered MAGAniac, the conspiracies will have already hit-the-fan. How deep fake do ya want to go? In Qanon-ia anything goes.
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

pipbarber wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:18 amI tend to agree, although there is a possibility that Trump's next term will be more like his first go at it, rather than a worst case scenario.
Got to remember who he had around him in the first stab at being dictator, he had "the best people" which curiously enough did for the most part turn out to be goodish people who actually pushed back on his worst excesses, all of whom he instantly hated because they wouldn't do what he wanted, this time he will have people who want the same thing he does, so that's the big difference this turn around, it's a far more dangerous scenario. We might even see nukes used on hurricanes this time!
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:26 pm
pipbarber wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:18 amI tend to agree, although there is a possibility that Trump's next term will be more like his first go at it, rather than a worst case scenario.
Got to remember who he had around him in the first stab at being dictator, he had "the best people" which curiously enough did for the most part turn out to be goodish people who actually pushed back on his worst excesses, all of whom he instantly hated because they wouldn't do what he wanted, this time he will have people who want the same thing he does, so that's the big difference this turn around, it's a far more dangerous scenario. We might even see nukes used on hurricanes this time!
I'm now remembering the sharpie on the weather map and the internal lasers and bleach for covid. Aaaargh!
I can feel it