Something humans never known before?

Have something related to a scientific discovery/theory or philosophy point you want to discuss?

Also the right spot for discussions about environmental issues facing the world.
stevebrooks

Something humans never known before?

Post by stevebrooks »

Honestly I am struggling with this one, I don't know exactly what they are referring to, it all seems perfectly normal for a functioning society;
A secret room buried in the rubble of the ancient city of Pompeii has shed light on something humans have never known before.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 73842efe0c
pipbarber

Re: Something humans never known before?

Post by pipbarber »

I read through that, did they mix up the headline? Pompeii might even exceed Egypt as the most surveyed archeological site on the planet, based on the fact that getting there, obtaining permits and visas, and cultural familiarity make Italy rather easier than Egypt. What on earth could Pompeii yield, at this point, that constitutes something humans have never known?

Sounds like they discovered a spare room full of tools, bits of rope and junk! Wow...stop the press Rupert....
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Re: Something humans never known before?

Post by stylofone »

Maybe there's a half-day training course they provide for the headline writers. Actually I think this headline writer wasn't paying attention. Mysterious pseudo-archaeology headlines should only be written when you want to imply that brown people couldn't possibly have created something impressive, so it must have been a "lost civilisation" like Atlantis.

In this case the headline writer missed the real topic, which is of course SEX! "Historians shocked by randy Pompeii pervs' penis eruption".
I can feel it